Hello from Edmonton

LFriedel

Hi All - My husband built a pond last year and this is the first year we are stocking it with fish. We are real newbies at this so I joined this forum to learn from all of you experts. We are in northeast Edmonton and retired . So far we have 4 6" koi, 2 goldfish and 2 Blue Bristol Shubunkins. I am absolutely fascinated by them and am looking to add more since the pond is a pretty good size. Thanks to the moderators for provinding this forum.

Welcome to the forum.

Welcome to AA!

Thank you for your kind welcomes. My husband would know the exact dimensions of the pond as he dug every inch of it by hand and designed it himself. I think it is about 10 foot x 10 foot square with a waterfall and about 2 1/2 feet deep I think. As far as plants we are just getting started. So far one water lily , some floating hyacinth which the fish seem to love to chew on the roots and a mini bullrush. We also have some lovely "Dollarama" cattails but we do need to get more plants. There are lots of caves for the fish but they need more shade in the pond itself. Any suggestions on the best pond plants?

I would suggest you visit Nature's Corner Store as Henry and Gillian can really help you out and they are one of our sponsors. They also have a very nice selection of not only koi, but of plants too.

Welcome to the forum! I love shubunkin goldfish and long for the day when I can have my own pond.

I am sure you will find a lot of experience and good advice here.

:welcome:

I loved canna lilies in my pond. I used Canna Pretoria and Canna Tropicanna. They grow fast with large leaves and beautiful orange flowers. I also used reeds. Scirpus lacustris ' Albescens ' and Cyperus Haspan did the best for me. I bought most of my water and marginal plants from nurseries and Canadian Tire.

Good luck with your pond!

Welcome to the forum! I love shubunkin goldfish and long for the day when I can have my own pond.

I am sure you will find a lot of experience and good advice here.

Re: Shubunkins - I loved the first two we got so much I went out and bought two more today. PJ's Pets has the 5" for 2 for $14.00. I chose ones with a lot of blue so they would show up better in the pond - the one which is more calico blends in with the rocks but is quite beautiful when he comes up for feeding. They call these the poor man's koi but they are so zippy and attractive that I'd like to get more. I'm glad for this site...as I am sure we will have all kinds of questions.