SOMEBODY HELP ME!!!!

turtlechick

There's really only one way to find out.... I've done that a million times in the 18yrs I've been keeping fish (so often that I only use submersible heaters, now). Sometimes they work, sometimes they smoke. Just keep an eye on it when you plug it back in and be ready to unplug it again quick if needbe.

it says "elite" on it....I'm new to the whole fish thing.....

Is it a hang on heater or a submersable. Hang on heater will have a clamp on it and hangs on the rim of the tank.

Elite submersable will have suction cups and will look like a glass tube with a golfball and a marble on the top.

If it fits that description it should be ok, I've had mine totally under water for 2 years with no problems.

don't even risk it if its a hang on the back type for the price of them throw it out and buy a new submersable type and no more problems. i've had bad luck cooking fish with cheap heaters, somtimes if you can afford it buy a new one.

Is it a hang on heater or a submersable. Hang on heater will have a clamp on it and hangs on the rim of the tank.

Elite submersable will have suction cups and will look like a glass tube with a golfball and a marble on the top.

If it fits that description it should be ok, I've had mine totally under water for 2 years with no problems.

Are you talking about the Elite heaters that have a blue-ish grey "golf ball" on top, where the packaging says submersible but on the heater itself it has a "max water level" line?

I have the same ones and i was never sure if they were truly submersible, so i kept the top out of the water. the pet store i bought them from uses the same brand completely under water, but if they are fully submersible, why the max water level indication?

sorry to partially hijack this thread, but this is something i've always wondered/been concerned about.

I'm not sure why the water line is on submersible heaters - I've always just dunked 'em. The only reason I can think of is that they use the same parts in both types, and don't bother covering/removing the water line message on the submersibles.

Are you talking about the Elite heaters that have a blue-ish grey "golf ball" on top, where the packaging says submersible but on the heater itself it has a "max water level" line?

I have the same ones and i was never sure if they were truly submersible, so i kept the top out of the water. the pet store i bought them from uses the same brand completely under water, but if they are fully submersible, why the max water level indication?

sorry to partially hijack this thread, but this is something i've always wondered/been concerned about.

the only reason you they dont say "completely" submersible is because of CSA standards.

They are totally fine if it is a subermesible heater.

I'm not sure why the water line is on submersible heaters - I've always just dunked 'em. The only reason I can think of is that they use the same parts in both types, and don't bother covering/removing the water line message on the submersibles.

I have often wondered about the line on their submersible heaters as well.... the ones that I have are underwater all the way as well... never had a problem with them....

You say you drained the water out from inside it? Where did the water get in, around the top? If the water can get in it DO NOT SUBMERGE IT!!!! Once it's dried out completely I'd use it again but you'd have to make sure it stays out. Whenever you break a heater or drop one in that's a hangon type, ALWAYS UNPLUG it first before you try to remove it.

I have had a "inexpensive" submergeable one which leaked water in . My fish were very unhappy and I had a hard time figuring it out until I reach into the tank while I had a cut on my finger. In the cut is where I felt the voltage. This heater had been putting voltage into the water and the fish were being zapped 24/7. As soon as the heater was out the fish got better. Others will report getting zapped seriously by broken heaters in their tanks.

You say you drained the water out from inside it? Where did the water get in, around the top? If the water can get in it DO NOT SUBMERGE IT!!!! Once it's dried out completely I'd use it again but you'd have to make sure it stays out. Whenever you break a heater or drop one in that's a hangon type, ALWAYS UNPLUG it first before you try to remove it.

I have had a "inexpensive" submergeable one which leaked water in . My fish were very unhappy and I had a hard time figuring it out until I reach into the tank while I had a cut on my finger. In the cut is where I felt the voltage. This heater had been putting voltage into the water and the fish were being zapped 24/7. As soon as the heater was out the fish got better. Others will report getting zapped seriously by broken heaters in their tanks.

like any electronic, once it gets wet, its done. for the cost of a new heater vs replacing all your fish and the headache involved, i would spend the money and just get a new one, its good "piece of mind", check the equipment section in the buy & sell

I have often wondered about the line on their submersible heaters as well.... the ones that I have are underwater all the way as well... never had a problem with them....

Depends on if you look at that line as a maximum depth or a minimum depth... I have always kept my submersible heaters to a depth well above the line on the heater to prevent the glass from overheating and cracking. That's what I thought it was there for.