Aquaclear 500

firestorm

Hey guys, I have an aquaclear 500 filter I got used a while back. I wanted to replace the sponge in it, but I have never seen a place that sells the media for the aquaclear 500's. Has anyone seen them around Calgary? I basically just used 2 aqauclear 70 sponges and cut them down to size, but would really like to get the proper sponge for it as it is thicker and might cost less than having to use them all the time.

Some aquaclears are measured in gallons and some in liters. An AC500 (500 liters per hour) is the same as an AC110 (110 gallons per hour). I think any foam for the aquaclear 110 series will fit your AC500 :)

Yeah I heard just yesterday that they are now the 110's. I didn't look at golds the last time I was in, but I know riverfront was selling the actual filter, but didn't see any media when I was there a month ago. I might just hold off on buying the media until I go to vancouver. I was told that J&L aquatics has great prices on media and other equipment. What I did for now is cut down 2 AC 70 sponges and put them in, which should work for a while. I usually only replace my sponges every 6 months or so, just rinse them everytime I clean the filter.

Yeah I heard just yesterday that they are now the 110's. I didn't look at golds the last time I was in, but I know riverfront was selling the actual filter, but didn't see any media when I was there a month ago. I might just hold off on buying the media until I go to vancouver. I was told that J&L aquatics has great prices on media and other equipment. What I did for now is cut down 2 AC 70 sponges and put them in, which should work for a while. I usually only replace my sponges every 6 months or so, just rinse them everytime I clean the filter.

Good afternoon. Does this J&L Auqatics have a web site and do they ship? I would be interested in getting some. I smell group order!! LOL!!

Edited by frontosas

Good afternoon. Does this J&L Auqatics have a web site and do they ship? I would be interested in getting some. I smell group order!! LOL!!

click here

Thank you snaggle. I just checked the media for the AC110.. Sponge is $5.45, locally $7.99 That is just one item of many lower prices I found. I just looked quickly but they do offer some special shipping rate and free shipping if over $200.00...

Edited by frontosas

Group order for AC sponges? lol

I usually only replace my sponges every 6 months or so, just rinse them everytime I clean the filter.

FYI - AC sponges should last several yrs, or longer, no need to change every 6 months.

I still have some running that must be close to 10 yrs old now.

Group order for AC sponges? lol
I usually only replace my sponges every 6 months or so, just rinse them everytime I clean the filter.

FYI - AC sponges should last several yrs, or longer, no need to change every 6 months.

I still have some running that must be close to 10 yrs old now.

Same here I never really change my sponges. My grandfather has had some of his for over 10 years and when he wants to sterilize all his sponges every summer of so he will put them all outside in the hot sun for a day or 2 and then they most of the time look brand new again! The only time I have ever changed my sponges is when I leave them out somewhere and my cats find them and leave a HUGE MESS all over my fish room!!! LOL They love to rip them apart into really small pea size sponges!!

Tanks A Lot on the corner of Heritage Dr and Elbow Dr sells all the Aquaclear filter media all the time for 2 for 1. I have been buying them there for the past 5 years at least. You will not find a better deal anywhere trust me. This is not a sale price - same all the time. I thought everybody knew about this.

Tanks A Lot on the corner of Heritage Dr and Elbow Dr sells all the Aquaclear filter media all the time for 2 for 1. I have been buying them there for the past 5 years at least. You will not find a better deal anywhere trust me. This is not a sale price - same all the time. I thought everybody knew about this.

Thanks Harold!! Nice to know this.

Brian

I sure didn't know. Thanks so much. When you live in the NE it is hard to really get to other areas of the city sometimes. I will check them out for sure. And thanks for the heads up on the sponges. I guess after a while they can get kinda gross looking, but I will just rinse them out and stuff. It is mostly the sponges I need for the AC's, I usually buy bulk for the bio media and stuff, but even that lasts for quite some time. I never use charcoal in any filters unless it is a new setup or after medicating. I have to say I have almost an AC on most of my tanks, they are great for helping with water clarity.

• 3 weeks later...