floor strength

MTAR

I'm just curious what is the max weight a floor can withstand. What I was thinking of was having a 125 gallon tank on a stand with a smaller breeding tank and one fry tank below in the same stand (approx 2000lbs). I live in a 2yr old townhouse. the room I'm thinking about the tank runs parallel with the I-BEAMs/joist material but the end of the of stand would butt up against a girder. I read few articles http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/aquarium_weight.php. No one lays down the law I understand why- can someone say lawsuit!!!

does anyone have ideas or have a large collection that is not a slab floor???

It seems to be a common question, but not one that concerns me all that much in most cases. I think the biggest key is spreading the weight out first of all. If you have 2000lbs. coming down on 4 feet, like table legs, yes, you mostlikely will have problems. But if you have a perimeter around your base, or better yet, a flat bottom on your stand-no problem. I don't know how big the foot-print of your set-up is, but I would have to assume at least 6 sq. ft. That translates to a max. of 333lbs./sq.ft, most-likely carring over at least 3 floor joists, as you mentioned it will run parallel to them-lots of strength, even if your builder used a 2X8 floor joist system. (Can't believe that's even legal!) Along the outside wall of your home is the strongest portion of the floor. One other way to look at it-ever hear of a waterbed ending up in the basement? Those crappy frames they sold in most cases were a joke in my mind, and they carried a large load to the floor. I am going to be setting up a 230 gal. on the main floor of our house, with a finish weight of 3500lbs-I have no worries. But if you still have concerns, I would reccommend putting a couple extra posts in the basement to accomodate-then you can sleep better at night!

Best of luck.

Rob B)

thanks guys, yeah the stand will run parallel with the joists not perpindicular(bear with my spelling :rofl:) so the stand won't be spread over three joists....cuz it running along with the joists and being the stand will bout 20" wide it baciscally sits on one joist..... the foot print how- ever will be the same as a standard 125 gal tank. I was the thinking about putting posts in the basement too....

thanks again, Eric

You can tie the joists together with 2 by 6 and then put a couple of tele-posts to gaurentee a secure base. Then you can buy a decorative post cover to make them look cool.

I was thinking of that too. I was actually thinking of using two posts. now here's a question: with the posts do I support the joists or support the floor directly, by putting a piece of 2x4 or 2x6 between the joists flush against the bottom of the sub floor.

later, Eric

Do you have TJI (engineered floor joist/silent floor) and is it close to a beam in the basement? I can appreciate your concern, nobody wants any accidents. But to be honest I still don't see this as a huge problem. Take it for what it's worth though, and it never hurts to beef up that floor joist, and add a couple posts- they can even be a temporary measure, to be removed easily when you move.

Is the basement drywalled? Maybe you can just get the posts (4X4, or better yet, doubled up 2X4-they will twist less) under the drywall, temporarily, and shim snug from underneth. Make sure they are snug enough that they won't fall over, and re-shim in a couple weeks, once the wood has begun to shrink. But make sure you are under the joist with the post, or you will hve a hole in your ceiling!