Understanding F's

firestorm

Hey guys, I know I read the topic before but now I can't find it. It was the topic that was describing how the whole mendel system works, or the WC, F1's, F2's systems. If anyone can help me out on what topic it is under that would be great, thanks :)

WC is wild caught from nature or F0 if you like

F1 is first gen born in captivity

F2 is are fish from F1 parents

F3 have F2 parents

etc.

At a point it really doesn't matter. After F2 I think its kind of pointless to say.

The closer to wild is usually the better b/c they are more natural specimens.

Most store fish are F9000. Kidding, but not really.

I dont know where the origingal post is though, if you looked in the general area try cichlid.

Edited by happeboy

Yeah I already know what the basic F's are. I want to know in more detail the whole genetics part of it. Like say you take a WC and breed it with an F1, what F would you consider that as? It is always good to know especially when you have F1's and such. Thanks i'll keep trying to look for it. I swear it was locked or stickied somewhere, but I forgot where and couldn't find it. Thanks for you help :)

Yeah I already know what the basic F's are. I want to know in more detail the whole genetics part of it. Like say you take a WC and breed it with an F1, what F would you consider that as? It is always good to know especially when you have F1's and such. Thanks i'll keep trying to look for it. I swear it was locked or stickied somewhere, but I forgot where and couldn't find it. Thanks for you help :)

example....

if a wild caught spawns with an f1.... the fry would be F.5 :bang1:

ok... I believe it is the fry are bumped to the next F from the highest numbered parent.

WC + F5 = F6 not F3 or F4

It is sill one more generation in a tank, and to my mind even if a parent fish is WC it shouldn't be a way to decrease the F. It seems like cheating.

Besides F's it is important to consider the fish itself regardless of WC or F100 to how it holds up to the species as a whole. A WC mutant is just as bad as a Fish farm mutant.

I know that was a little off topic.

I still cant find the F thread either, but Im looking.

If you breed a WC and a F1 then it would be a F2. You could also label it as a F2 but state that the parents were F1 and WC.

Pretty much after F2 no one cares and you just call them tank riased.

IF you breed a tank raised with a wild caught it would be a F-nothing. But you could always inform the buyer that one parent was a WC if you wanted to.

I remember a long time ago reading this very topic on the discussion section of cichlid-forum and the forum section on AquaBid. The guy on AquaBid really knew his stuff - very very knowledgeable. The other guy was no slouch either. I don't know how you could call it up but maybe one of our computer people could help.

There are indeed people who breed wild caught with tank raised and sell the fry as F1's. This is sometimes being misinformed and sometimes just outright fraud. The point is KNOW WHO YOU ARE DEALING WITH. The buzz words these days are wild caught and F1 and if you trust someone you do not know or is evasive about the lineage of the fish you may pay for fish that are not even close to what you think they are.

Another point is that all wild caught are not the perfect specimens. I have seen wild caught that aren't worth spit. If you are buying fry always ask to see the parents and you will have a better idea of what the fry should turn out like.

Another point is that all wild caught are not the perfect specimens. I have seen wild caught that aren't worth spit. If you are buying fry always ask to see the parents and you will have a better idea of what the fry should turn out like.

Just a big up to you and Kyle as breaders on giving a flying S@#$. Anyone can stop by my place to see the quality you both have.

Still cant find the F explination on this board but I will start on the others sites.

• 2 weeks later...

I knew it was something like that. Most fish I am trying to obtain are at least F1's or WC. I have some F1 polits, and am planning on getting some F2 females to replace the couple I lost. I guess if they breed no big deal. I just hope I can tell which of my females were the F1's and which are the F2's so if selling the fry I can tell them what they are getting. I know many people say that the fish from WC parents are often nicer than the parents themselves. I know it sucks that many people advertise their fish as F1's and such, when they are not. I wish people could be a little more honest in what they are selling. Harold, those F1 yellow labs I got from you have been breeding, I have about 4 fry from them, and also about 10 little tiny fry I stripped yesterday, plus she still has more in her mouth. I just got a whole batch of F1 cynotilapia afra chimates from spencer. I looked all over calgary for cynos but could never find them. So hopefully if anyone is also looking at getting some cynos in this area, I will have that one type. I don't trust many people when they say their fry is F something or wild caught, but I think from spencer you usually are getting the quality he claims them to be. I guess my word of advice is to only deal with people who are known for their stock. When golds sells WC, or F1's, do you think they are trust worthy of this? I did buy 2 WC discus from them a while back, a WC satanoperca jurupari and some F1 tropheus duboisi. The WC's were all full grown, so it does lead me to believe that they are truly WC.

Happeboy, I just noticed you have some cynos as well. Do you breed them? In the future if my plans go the way I want, I was thinking of getting another type of cyno.

Like say you take a WC and breed it with an F1, what F would you consider that as?

WC x F1 - IOW there is no proper filial designation

WC + F5 = F6 not F3 or F4

Again, that fish should be sold as WC x F5 - obviously as a buyer most people would be interested in knowing that not only were the parents unrelated, but that one of them was a WC fish.

When golds sells WC, or F1's, do you think they are trust worthy of this?

Yes

No, but maybe I was imagining it was on this forum. I remember seeing one where someone was being way more descriptive, and I believe it was longer than that page. Thanks for all the clarification guys. I think anytime I sell a fish instead of calling it just an F1 or something, I will specify to them what the parents were, and if the parents could be or are related. I think that would be the best and safest option. I know I would like to know what the parents were if possible.

• 6 months later...