Bracing floor to hold tank weight

Martin McNally

Hey guys, I originally come from Ireland so this wooden frame house construction is foreign to me. I was just curious though, if I wanted to have a tank upstairs (i.e. not on the concrete basement floor) do i have to be worred about investigating the floor upstairs and what weight it can hold without causing an issue (such as a tank coming crashing into the basement).

I guess I could build the tank stand to spread the weight with a flat bottom instead of legs, that would help a little.

Martin

Hey guys, I originally come from Ireland so this wooden frame house construction is foreign to me. I was just curious though, if I wanted to have a tank upstairs (i.e. not on the concrete basement floor) do i have to be worred about investigating the floor upstairs and what weight it can hold without causing an issue (such as a tank coming crashing into the basement).

I guess I could build the tank stand to spread the weight with a flat bottom instead of legs, that would help a little.

Martin

Hi Martin,

You did not mention how large of a tank you were planning on setting up. If you have carpet floors then you probably would want a flat bottom no matter what.

Hi Martin, What's the criac?

If the house is fairly new (within 20 yrs) then you shouldn't be too concerned with a 90G on a flat bottom stand. I wouldn't recommend anything larger without some structural reinforcement. Try placing the tank near an exterior wall or along a interior line where the structural beam in the basement is directly under the tank. Most floors are designed with a dead load tolerance that can handle such weights.

Water weighs roughly 8.4lbs/gallon and with substrate, stand etc, you're looking at around 1100lbs for your 90G. A flat bottomed stand covers roughly four square feet for a 90G so that's 275lbs per sq.ft. Imagine four large and burly guys standing in your living room. If your floor can take that then it should hold your tank. You might see some deflection as the weight will cause the floor to compress over time.

I have a 72 and a 110 on my main floor, house is 35 years old. I stick with the rule to have your tank against the wall that runs perpendicular to the floor joists.

that way the tanks weight runs along as many floor supports as possible. if it is running parallel with the floor joists, then all of the weight is on those specific ones and not being spead out.

but thats me.

That a a terrific link!

Thank you on behalf of anyone who reads it in the future and avoids a problem.

I'm going to suggest that the mod team get permission from the author to post this permanently in a sticky.

I realize that Alberta building codes are different, but not that much and , hopefully, will give a person cause for pause and they'll look for further info.

Rick

when is the last time you heard of a tank going through the floor? i work in home structure and houses can support a mindboggaling amount of weight. following the good advice of other members and setting your tank across the beams and near walls is good insurance. i saw a 450 gal tank on the main floor of a 50 year old house with no problems, i myself wouldent try that but last i heard it was still there, on the main floor

I am also in the home building industry and would not really be too concerned with placing large tanks on older wood framed floors. On typical spans, the dimensional lumber they used to build with had a much higher dead load capacity than modern engineered floors. It's the newer homes that I would be worried about as the engineered wood products can be more susceptible to warping and damage given the longer spans that they are used.

The TGI floors are not too bad but they are used in very long spans which would bow downwards if a large weight were placed upon it. I've built a few that used what's called an open web truss floor joist and have seen this type of floor warp downwards during the construction process, just from having the other building materials stacked on the floor.

You'll probably never see a tank land in the basement but warping floors can cause problems all over the house. Cracks in drywall, doors no longer fitting their jambs, flooring surfaces splitting or cracking or lifting. This type of damage occurs slowly over time so you would not automatically realize that a large tank was the cause.

• 2 weeks later...

I have 2 90 gallon tanks right beside each other on a load bearing wall. I have never had an issue, and my house is about 30 years old. I honestly believe old houses were built better than new. I see many new houses go in with half the quality old houses have. And all the cheap made products they make to build houses, I wouldn't trust them as much as an older house. I would probably recommend looking at the joists if your house is older than 40.