name this fish

about a month ago, my dad picked up this fish, he didn't know what it was called, just thought it looked cool, im new to the aquarium world and i don't know myself which types of fish it is. can you help me name this fish?

MY FISH

its the fish behind the electric yellow fish.

I am providing a link for you, it is of the Gourami species.. You can scroll through what these are on this link... From the photo I believe it might be a Gold Gourami... anyways you will have to take a look.

It will also you help keep him healthy and happy...

Gourami Species

Nice fish btw ! :thumbs:

It is a Gold Gourami and not aggressive enough to be in a tank of cichlids.

ionno it seems to me that they are getting along i havn't noticed any aggressiveness towards the other fish, they swim together like they are friends :thumbs: its been a couple of days, but i'll watch them and see how it goes

thanks guys for the help

Edited by aquaticapinoy

Just takes a few minutes for that fish to be gone in a tank with Mbunas

Not a matter of if.. More a matter of when

really? hummm then i guess i'll have to find another tank for the fish, or sell it?!?!?! because i have another tank with a silver gourami and some guppies and gold fish, but he keeps on beating up on the silver Gourami and the other fish. In the cichlid tank, there hasn't been any aggression towards each other?

Edited by aquaticapinoy

really? hummm then i guess i'll have to find another tank for the fish, or sell it?!?!?! because i have another tank with a silver gourami and some guppies and gold fish, but he keeps on beating up on the silver Gourami and the other fish. In the cichlid tank, there hasn't been any aggression towards each other?

Is there just 1 electric yellow in the tank? and no other cichlids?

Is there just 1 electric yellow in the tank? and no other cichlids?

i have 9 electric yellow in the tank and the one gold gourami

He might be okay if you are not noticing aggression. However, if your electric yellows start to breed he will be living on borrowed time. I had a batch of F1 electric yellows that got along with anything I put in with them. Lets keep in mind that electric yellows are the mellowest mbuna out there. If I was you I would just keep an eye out, and if you notice any kind of breeding activity it will be a good idea to move him.

I wouldn't plan on keeping it in with the yellow labs long term. The labs will eventually start being aggressive towards it. Just know that just because its working out now doesn't mean it will forever.

I had some Platies in with my yellow labs and they lived happily for almost a year. Then all of a sudden the yellow labs started picking on them and killing them off. Nothing had changed in the tank, they just started to pick on them.

I wouldn't plan on keeping it in with the yellow labs long term. The labs will eventually start being aggressive towards it. Just know that just because its working out now doesn't mean it will forever.

I had some Platies in with my yellow labs and they lived happily for almost a year. Then all of a sudden the yellow labs started picking on them and killing them off. Nothing had changed in the tank, they just started to pick on them.

humm i'll keep my eye on the fish, until i start seeing aggression towards each other. otherwise i'll have to put the Gold Gourami in a small 3 gallon tank, or try to sell it. which is WAYYY too small for him/her (idonno the sex) , but its the only other tank i have.

It would best for the fish to take action now instead of waiting until it gets injured.

Yes those are very valid points. Better off trying to find him a home before he gets hurt. The way your title reads I was going to say "name your fish Fred" or some such thing. All joking aside he/she will be happier with its own kind.