Tank angle

Carinotetraodon

Hey there,

I have a tank that I have on a stand (bowfront), and the water line is at a bit of an angle. The setup is on carpet on the main floor of a rented house. Is this something I should be concerned about? It's a 25 gallon tank.

I was thinking of just sliding something underneath the tank to even it out, is this discouraged or recommended?

The water level at an angle means that your tank and stand are likely not level. How much of an difference is it? If is is only a small difference, you are probably OK. I might have an eighth of an inch difference over the length of my 72 Gallon (4 feet) and I have not tried to fix it.

If you are concerned about it, you really should work at leveling the stand, not just the tank. Carpet can make this challenging, but if you shim it and then cut off any excess, you can make it look neat. I would recommend you buy some wood shims that you can buy at a hardware store and are reasonably inexpensive.

If you shim just the tank, you actually lift the glass off part of the stand and you lose support in that area. Not recommended as most tanks probably aren't designed for that.

25 gallons isn't that big of a tank (relatively) where this may be a super critical issue, but it is big enough to make a mess, so I would take care of it. IMHO

If you know any construction cleanup people or crews working anywhere they are putting in doors or windows then you could probably get some pieces of shims for free because the excess they cut off goes in the trash and is still perfectly useable for what you want it for.

Good luck

Lisa

I would not be too concerned, keep in mind that there are a lot of people that would out weigh your tank and they don't go through the floor. If the stand is sittin squarely on the floor and the tank is sitting squarely on the stand it will be fine.

When carpet is installed there is a piece of wood nailed to the floor with small nails in it to hold the carpet, if your tank stand is tight to the wall it is probable siting on the tack boards which do not compress like the underlay of the carpet.

When carpet is installed there is a piece of wood nailed to the floor with small nails in it to hold the carpet, if your tank stand is tight to the wall it is probable siting on the tack boards which do not compress like the underlay of the carpet.

:shock: OMG I never even thought of that. LOL. THANK YOU! all this time I was like "stupid uneven floor...grumble grumble..." haha