Sodium Bisulfate

Has anyone here used this product to lower PH...

I am wondering how much I would need to use as a starting point to lower my RO-DI-tap water mix to 6.5.... How many TBS or TSP of this product per gallon... doesnt have to be totally acurate ... just a ballpark that I can play around with to get it right......

I have been using API PH down but its a little pricy for the long haul....

I don't know if it's still around, but Wardley's pH down is sodium bisulphate - next time you're in Wal Mart of one of the chain stores, check the label.

I was once reading a site on using this acid to lower pH, since I had also wanted to try different methods. I had read that the best way to use products like those is to use titration when adding it to the water. I would also suggest using a sample of the RO water, or a sample from your tank and go from there. Make sure to monitor it over a couple of days and see how it reacts, you definitely don't want any large pH fluctuations happening. Experimenting is fun, let us know how it all works out for you, some of us can definitely learn from your experiments :)

I was once reading a site on using this acid to lower pH, since I had also wanted to try different methods. I had read that the best way to use products like those is to use titration when adding it to the water. I would also suggest using a sample of the RO water, or a sample from your tank and go from there. Make sure to monitor it over a couple of days and see how it reacts, you definitely don't want any large pH fluctuations happening. Experimenting is fun, let us know how it all works out for you, some of us can definitely learn from your experiments :)

Absolutely...titration it will be! actually titration is nearly a must all of the time regardless of the product ...

I will keep you posted.... do wish I had a starting point tho LOL

Start with 0.5ml for every 5L and go from there. If it is too much, then decrease it some. Then you will have to do the math after you figured out how much of the acid you need for every 1 litre or so, and then regarding how many litres your tank has, will be how much you put in. But just remember your gravel and deco takes away from water volume, so it will not be the same as an empty tank. I cannot remember how to calculate how much volume an item takes up from it's weight. But someone might know.

Ok... thanks for the information / now i need some help... .5 ml to every 5L of water to start... the product comes in grames! Help! I am old school.. ounces / pints / gallons / teaspoons / tablespoons... LOL

I will be mixing up 20 gallons a day.... where should I start... what is that about 90-100L?

Well that was real tough LOL.... 1ml=1 gram so I will need about 20grams for 100Leters

now how to figure out how much volume does 20grams make up.... ah I know or am I wrong ... if the conversion is 1-1 g to ml can I just use a 50ML test tube and fill it a little less them half and I should be at or close to 20grams...

Is this correct............

IF your 20ml = 20g thing works out you can always use a teaspoon or tablespoon too. 1 teaspoon = 5ml, 1 tablesppon = 15ml

But since I never took chemistry, I have no idea how to do conversions and if 1ml=1g. I'll let someone else help you with that one. Just thought i'd let you know there is an easier way of measuring 20ml then estimating with a 50ml test tube.

IF your 20ml = 20g thing works out you can always use a teaspoon or tablespoon too. 1 teaspoon = 5ml, 1 tablesppon = 15ml

But since I never took chemistry, I have no idea how to do conversions and if 1ml=1g. I'll let someone else help you with that one. Just thought i'd let you know there is an easier way of measuring 20ml then estimating with a 50ml test tube.

Thanks ////

Thanks ////

Not a chemistry major here. But unfortunately that is not how it works.

You can only substitute 1ml for 1 gram for water at sea level at 20 degrees C.

It depends on the amount of grams you can put into solution....for instance 1 cubic cm (1ml) of water may hold in solution more or less than 1 gram of sugar depending on elevation and temperature and the ability of water to hold sugar.

So it is best to add x grams to water and try it out. Be as accurate as you can (use the same amount of water each time)

FYI I have mixed Edmonton water at 20 % with RO 80 % and achieved a PH of 6.8

J

Ah, the word titration was mentioned somewhere up above. Why not do just that? Take a small volume, say 1-4 L, and add a broad indicator, such as bromothymol blue. Add your acid until the solution turns the desired colour, and record the amount of NaHSO4 that you need. Once you get the approximate amount, you can fine tune it with a short range test kit, and scale up. Or, even better, if you have a pH probe, use that. Before adding anything to your tank, make sure the pH of the mixture stays stable. Now, the water in your tank is of a different composition than just RO/tap water, with organic acids and other goodies, so things may change on you in the "real world" setting. All that being said, is adding an acid your only option here? You may find it to be a somewhat unpredictable and frustrating experience.

Edited by nyb440