Trying Cichlids

Shai

I'm taking the plunge and going to try cichlids! Based on feedback I've already had over at cichlid-forum.com I have a rough plan started but more advice is always useful. I haven't had any comments yet about numbers.

The plan is to put these fish in my existing 55g in place of the stock I currently have.

Haplochromis sp. "Ruby Green"
OR
Haplochromis sp. "Dayglow"
OR
Pundamilia nyererei (Makobe Is.)

AND

Pseudotropheus saulosi
OR
Pseudotropheus socolofi

AND

Synodontis petricola (pair?)

All feedback appreciated!

I'm taking the plunge and going to try cichlids! Based on feedback I've already had over at cichlid-forum.com I have a rough plan started but more advice is always useful. I haven't had any comments yet about numbers.

The plan is to put these fish in my existing 55g in place of the stock I currently have.

Haplochromis sp. "Ruby Green"
OR
Haplochromis sp. "Dayglow"
OR
Pundamilia nyererei (Makobe Is.)

AND

Pseudotropheus saulosi
OR
Pseudotropheus socolofi

AND

Synodontis petricola (pair?)

All feedback appreciated!

In my (brief) experience saulosi's can be a real bugger. I have one that will beat the hell out of fish twice his size. If it's excitment you're looking for I wouldn't discourage you, but if you're looking for a blue somewhat peaceful fish maybe an electric blue (S. fryeri or ahli ...whatever...)? If it's the body shape you're after, maybe a rusty (I. sprengerae)?

I do not recommend mixing Haplochromis sp. "Ruby Green" with saulosi or socolofi. The Ruby's are to soft. The Xystichromis sp. "Dayglow" might work, and Pundamilia nyererei will most likely work.

If you want Ruby's and also Malawi, the I would suggest some of the smaller Peacocks or maybe some yellow labs.

Also, always compare the info on cichlid-forum.com with other sources. They have a lot of incorrect information there.

:D Great feedback, thanks!

Mostly I'm looking for lots of color. "Ruby Green" was definitely my first pick from the Vics for that reason, and with P. saulosi it would have been like getting two colors for the price of one species!

I will look up the other fish mentioned, but are there any other recommendations that fall under what I'm looking for? I don't think I'm ready for an all-male tank but I don't want to end up with a lot of silver-drab-looking females either, or too much of one color (=monochrome tank).

Edited by Shai

While I'm still debating about the cichlids, can anyone tell me if it is safe to get a pair of the petricolas, given the general temperament and type of cichlid I'm looking at?

There are some petricolas currently advertised on the site so it would be a great opportunity to get them while they're available. :D

The petricolas will work with the fish mentioned but I'd suggest getting more then just a pair. They like to be in groups and are more active when in larger groups. I started with 3 in my 90g and now I have 9. The more I added, the more they came out during the day. Now I see them constantly swimming in and out of the rock work all day long. I keep yellow labs, acei and haps. The fish and synos don't pay much attention to eachother. I've never seen any fighting or chasing between them.

So I'd suggest starting with atleast 3

Take a look at Copadichromis virginalis

http://www.fishbase.org/summary/SpeciesSummary.php?id=2296

I have 2 males and 1 female in my african tank . They are not (IME) aggressive towards anyone else but they are also not picked on . I've enjoyed them . Sue

P.S. I was looking for pics and found this page. It has a lot of nice pics/w/names you might want to look at.

http://www.oldworldexoticfish.com/arrivals.html

Edited by Qattarra

For a blue fish that's peaceful and doesn't get too big and nasty, I'd recommend Melanchromis cyaneorhabdos

: ) Everyone is being really helpful. There are so many cichlids to choose from! The more reading I do the more fish I come across that I like.

It seems to me that one can't always have a single-lake tank. Everything I've read about Victorians so far says they really can't be kept together in a given tank because they'll crossbreed, which is a huge no-no. So if I want to keep a Vic I also need to find fish from somewhere else.

My first choice Vic is still the "Ruby Greens". Since Patrick indicated they were too soft for the other "mildly aggressive" cichlids I listed previously, I Googled "peaceful cichlids" and found some helpful results. So how about this rough plan?

Haplochromis sp.
"Ruby Green"
AND

Labidochromis caeruleus
(Kakusa) – Electric Yellow Lab
AND

Melanochromis cyaneorhabdos - Maingano
AND

Aulonocara (Rubescens)
- Ruby Red Peacock
OR
Aulonocara stuartgranti
(Cobue)
OR
Aulonocara hueseri
- Midnight Peacock
AND

Synodontis petricola

Would this be too many individual groups? I was assuming 1M/3F of each of the first four plus 3 synos, which would be 19 fish total. None of these fish are larger than 5". My first choice of the Aulonocara are the Ruby Reds. Also, when I read about M. cyaneorhabdos they were often listed as a "mildly aggressive" species--would they be too much for the others?

In a 55 gallon, yes that is too many groups. IMO you should rule out the mbuna altogether, cyaneorhabdos can be tough enough, as can yellow lab males when breeding, and neither species of mbuna is overly easy to sex, especially if you buy them as juvies. All mbuna are aggressive, some are simply less aggressive than others. Even yellow labs can & sometimes will kill other fish. My suggestion is below .....

1.) Haplochromis sp. "Ruby Green"

2.) Aulonocara (Rubescens)

3.) S. petricola (now you can have 5+)

HTH

In a 55 gallon, yes that is too many groups. IMO you should rule out the mbuna altogether, cyaneorhabdos can be tough enough, as can yellow lab males when breeding, and neither species of mbuna is overly easy to sex, especially if you buy them as juvies. All mbuna are aggressive, some are simply less aggressive than others. Even yellow labs can & sometimes will kill other fish. My suggestion is below .....

1.) Haplochromis sp. "Ruby Green"

2.) Aulonocara (Rubescens)

3.) S. petricola (now you can have 5+)

HTH

Yes I would agree that this is a combination with great chances of success. It will allow for more individuals of each species. Maybe 5-6 Aulonocara and 7-8 Ruby's.

It is possible to keep three species (or more) in a 55 gallon but it will definately be more difficult. I have tried three species of vic's in a 45gallon and it did not work out because I was limited in the number of each species.

On the other hand I have a 45 gallon with 5 Astatotilapia nubila(very agressive), 10 Paralabidochromis chromogynos(medium agressive), 5 Aulonocara stuartgranti "Chitimba Bay" (not so agressive) and one single male Haplochromis sp. "Ruby Green" (not so agressive). This is a temporary setup, all young but old enough to breed, and it works.

It's a matter of mixing the right species and the right numbers of each species without exceeding the maximum number of individuals that the tank can sustain. Unfortunately there are exceptions to every rule and just because it works for me does not mean it will work for someone else. Going with fewer (two) species and more fish of each is the best start IMO.

Talking about vic's and agression, many vic's tend to become very agressive in higher temperatures. The diffence in temperament at 24-25C versus 27-28C is significant. A lot of hobbyists keep their temperatures higher than needed (maybe not much of a choice in the summer).

Sorry guys I got a bit carried away ;)

Edited by patrick

• 2 weeks later...

I've been doing a lot of reading and I also have similar threads posted on other forums. The amount of conflicting information is very frustrating. Some people tell me the list is fine, others say I should pear it down, still other people say it's a complete disaster... Other people tell me to go back to an earlier iteration, saying there's no reason I can't have Pseudotropheus saulosi because they have "great temperament"... Yarg.

So for now I think I'll put this on the back burner until I feel more confident and knowledgable about these particular fish, and keep the ones I already have instead. But thanks for everyone's help! It's something I will definitely try in the future.

I have these fish in a 90 gallon and everything is working good so far. The most aggressive in my tank would be the maingano. I have about 10 maingano fry (1.5 inch).

6 Labidochromis caeruleus– Electric Yellow Lab

6 Melanochromis cyaneorhabdos - Maingano

8 Ps. Flavus

6 Ps. Saulosi

6 Synodontis petricola