NLS storage

Qattarra

When I had Koi, I would buy at least 8 months supply of food and freeze all that I wouldn't be using right away. One year I only kept it in the cold room but that didn't work well. I had bought the Hikari pellets from the bulk bins and they became wormy. I had no further trouble with the Hikari packaged foods and freezing. The fish did well.

In a conversation I had with Neil some time ago I mentioned that I froze the pellets to extend their shelf life and conserve the nutritional value once the pail was opened and he told me that since the pellets are encapsulated that they would likely last 1 - 2 years just left in the pail with the lid tightly sealed. I do however put the pails in my fish freezer when I have opened them. Old habits are tough to break LOL I would suggest however that if you don't freeze them that they should be kept in a dark and dry area.

NLS pellets are not encapsulated, nor have I ever said that they are.

If stored in a cool, dry environment, there is no need to freeze the food unless

you feel that the container will last beyond 12 months. If unopened, and stored

as suggested above, you can extend that period by another 12 months.

No problem Harold, you were probably thinking of Dainichi & their enscapulation process.

To be honest, the only fish foods that you have to be overly careful with are those that

contain a high fat content, typically over 15% crude fat, and/or a high moisture content.

Those foods can spoil very quickly if one isn't very careful as to how they are handled & stored.

Edited by RD.

No problem Harold, you were probably thinking of Dainichi & their enscapulation process.

To be honest, the only fish foods that you have to be overly careful with are those that

contain a high fat content, typically over 15% crude fat, and/or a high moisture content.

Those foods can spoil very quickly if one isn't very careful as to how they are handled & stored.

So basically if I have a pail NLS that I open up every month or so to fill up a smaller can, I don't need to worry about the food being spoiled within 12 months as long as I close the lid properly?

Edited by patrick

:beer: NLS is one of the only foods I know of that have a shelf life of that long after being opened. I was always concerned to about buying in bulk, because I was afraid I would not use it all in time therefore waste money. But Harold told me a while back I can keep it for about a year without going bad. Thanks Harold. I like buying food in bulk mainly because it saves on money, especially when you have tons of large hungry cichlids lol. Harold, I am still trying to get my discus to eat the NLS discus formula, when they do I will see if someone wants to split a pail with me, and I will let you know when this happens so I can possibly have you order it.