BABIES My Red Jewels had babies

Ishkabod

Hi my lovely red jewls had babies. I counted thirty six of them and i have about 16 of them in a tall vase in the tank with a sponge filter.

Any suggestions to keep them alive and fed? and i can't seem to catch my electric yellows to get them out of the tank and into a less strssfull environment. Suggestions??

THanks

Lisa

Congratulations on your babies, Lisa. We had a pair of red jewels breed over and over again in a 150 gallon until the lfs in Calgary started telling us "no more, please, no more". I have since gotten out of the freshwater game, but I can advise we served our babies NLS grow formula and they seemed to like it. Crush it up if they are still small. I actually found that fry will eat ANYTHING as long as it is small enough to fit into their mouths!

• 2 weeks later...

I read somewhere online, don't recall where that you can give boiled egg yolk, for the fry you would squish it add some water then put it in the tank, the adults would love it too. It is a good source of protein for them, crushed flakes works well and so does the baby brine shrimp. You can hatch them out yourself, Natures corner carries them.

Good luck and Congrats!

Lana

Jewels are usually great parents. I have a friend who'd just leave them in his well planted, well stocked 90 gal. About 20 would survive out of over 100, each spawn.

Thanks for all the help. The biggest reason why i'm worried about the fry surviveing in the tank is that there are few places to hide and i don't have cash to buy more stuff for hideing places right now. I have four left and they are doing well. I know why the others didn't make it and i found a breeding net that would work for the small fry. Thanks again

Lisa