Need help building a tank

bottomdweller_fan

I need your help.

I am trying to decide how I should build a new tank. I am looking at one that is about 72" long by 36" wide by about 22" tall with an internal filter that is incorporated directly into the tank.

I thought about a wooden tank, but am unsure I want to work with the epoxies needed. However, I was wondering if I could build a wooden box, insert a plastic tank (like these) and use either acrylic or glass for the front cover.

Any pros and cons you can see with this idea will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Edited by bottomdweller_fan

You could build it out of plywood, then line it with arborite (counter top stuff) - I think that's how I'm going to go with mine, when I build it. You should be able to find a piece of glass for the front pane - maybe someone has a 6' tank that's been dropped, but still has one good side.

Thanks for the suggestion, Jason.

Does anyone else have any suggestions? Thanks.

Just buy one from the lfs,they aren't expensive and you know it was built by someone who knows how to build tanks. Plus you get warranty if it leaks.

A more recent trend in tank building is lining plywood with Hardiboard (cement board) and painting with Drylok. Silicone sticks to Drylok really well and forms a nice seal.

Don't let anyone tell you that you can only get Drylok in the US. I just picked up 2 gallons. :smokey:

Any Home Hardware can order it. If the paint dept won't cooperate, tell them to look it up on the Home Info system. Problem solved. :thumbs: As a side note, they also carry aquarium safe silicone too.

Best of luck with your build.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The tank is built and been running for about 2 months now.

If you are interested, here are the two posts where I chronicled the build.

http://albertaaquatica.com/index.php?showtopic=21005

http://albertaaquatica.com/index.php?showtopic=21034