Fertilising ocelot swords and a lighting question.

catshanon

Thankx Jason

I have my actinics at the back of the tank and Colormax 6700K combo at the front.

Perhaps When I get the new lamps, I should put the actinics at the front.

Opinions?

Rick

It really depends on what you're wanting... I put stem plants in the back, so I'd keep the actinics at the back, myself. I usually put the 'Aquarium/Plant' bulbs at the front b/c the red wavelengths seem to bring out the reds in the fish, and make the blues really pop! :) I keep the whites (6500K or so) in the middle.

If your budget allows, try co2 & metal halide - every once in a while you'll see c02 gear & some of the 75w and 150w "clip on" nano tank lights pretty cheap on the various buy&sell forums. You'll find the results quite amazing, unfortunately the downside is they run very hot.. Not recommended if there are young kids or cats in the house...

It really depends on what you're wanting... I put stem plants in the back, so I'd keep the actinics at the back, myself. I usually put the 'Aquarium/Plant' bulbs at the front b/c the red wavelengths seem to bring out the reds in the fish, and make the blues really pop! :) I keep the whites (6500K or so) in the middle.

I also have tall growing and some stem plants at the back of the tank, I have the actinic in the back, red in the middle, white up front and it seems to work well for my tank. Unfortunately I can't post any pics of my tank, But it can be found in the 2007/2008 ACE aquarium beautiful contests.

In Feb. 2008 I changed to T-5 lights from T-8. Some of the plants that look tall are actualy short plants growing on stems of driftwood and gives the effect of taller plants.

Plantlover,

Thanks for your suggestions. Unfortunately, I cannot replace the ballast on my tank, so I am stuck with 20Wx2 = 40W of lighting. I know MH are good, but can't invest into those right now. Got a FLORA SUN 5000K Zoomed bulb that emits in the blue and red spectrum. Also have a 6500K full spectrum Lifeglo. I have started to add CO2 (DIY) and ferts. Hopefully, my plants will trive now. I had lost a lot of plants due to bad conditions.Lets see how they do now.

Raj.

• 2 weeks later...