Hybridising problem

happeboy

I have these guys together:

Labidochromis caeruleus - Electric Yellow

Pseudotropheus polit

Sciaenochromis fryeri - Electric Blue

Cynotilapia afra (Cobue)

Otopharynx lithobates

I thought I would be safe from hybrids but a fresh batch of Labs sure look like they are going to be hybrids, but who did it? I cant get a good picture yet as they are really small still but they are more grey and one is dark brown?

The Parents are nice bright yellow from Fairdeal.

From the color description I'd guess either the fryeri or lithobates... but it's really hard to say 'til the kids grow up a bit.

Just out of curiosity what is the M/F ratio on your various fish. I would suspect whoever doesn't have enough females. I once had an albino eyebiter with no females big enough to breed mating with 2 of my wild caught flametail females so out they came in a hurry- never thought for 1 second that would ever happen. One of the females had a mouth full of eggs that were discarded real quick too.

You are never safe from hybrids :shock: :ph43r:

Once i had a male Placidochromis electra breed with my Labidochromis perlmutt. Who would have thought that cross was even possible! I thought my tank would be safe from cross breeding as I had haps and a group of mbuna, totally different looking fish!

IF the fry are brand new it will be hard to ID them untill they are a bit bigger.

• 4 weeks later...

If they are brown babies, and it is a yellow lab that had them, my first guess would have been the polit that she bred with. Females and male juvie polits will all be brown in color. And to be honest, I think an mbuna would breed with another mbuna before they breed with a hap/peacock type cichlid. I am guessing the lithobates bred with the electric blue (both haps/peacocks)........how many of each kind of fish do you have in your tank? males females ratio? yellow labs I am not concerned about because they are so hard to sex other than venting.

Edited by firestorm

Crap can happen anytime I've had tanganykans crossing with malawi's, you did the right thing by observing somthing was wrong and hopefully you will do the right thing now--hard as it is