Filter blew... need suggestions...

Kayen

Okay so my elite mini blew on me after a year ( i broke original impeller it runs another type so yeah) , so right now i'm left without a filter in my planted shrimp tank, which is 2.5gallons .

So i'd like some suggestions on what to buy next for it.

Okay so my elite mini blew on me after a year ( i broke original impeller it runs another type so yeah) , so right now i'm left without a filter in my planted shrimp tank, which is 2.5gallons .

So i'd like some suggestions on what to buy next for it.

My 10 gal shrimp tank has a small internal filter that I picked up from AquaGiant for $7 - they have smaller ones, too.

Personally I love the Elite filters and have never had a problem with mine(1 is over 5 years now). PLus at 12$ its a pretty good deal.

The Aquagiant ones are cheaper but I haven't had too much luck with AquaGiant filters running quietly and I've had a couple fail on me soon after buying them. I haven't personally tried the little green internal filters, but I have tried some HOBs and powerheads.

Assuming that you have lots of plants in your shrimp tank, why would you bother with a filter?

When i went filterless, the plants ceased to grow, due to lack of water flow, so essentially i want a filter just for water flow.

Also helps with nutrient distribution, etc.

I've had a few of those little green AG filters for a year or so. They run silently for me as long as they're completely submerged, but as soon as the top touches the surface it starts sucking air and is quite noisy.

If it is just a small tank, a small airpump may be all that's needed - if you're not running CO2 this will be more than enough to keep the water flowing and your plants happy.