tank weight

bluewater

hello. I was wondering what is the general limit on the weight of tank a person should be able to put on the main floor of a house. The house was built in 2007, floor joist are running perpendicular to the length of tank, it would not be against a load bearing wall or outside wall, and no walls underneath it in the basement. I was thinking of setting up a 125 gallon tank. thanks for input.

hello. I was wondering what is the general limit on the weight of tank a person should be able to put on the main floor of a house. The house was built in 2007, floor joist are running perpendicular to the length of tank, it would not be against a load bearing wall or outside wall, and no walls underneath it in the basement. I was thinking of setting up a 125 gallon tank. thanks for input.

Rather than go through it all again, if you do a search for "weight" you'll come up with all kinds of posts on the subject.

The general consensus is that "it's hard to say".

Since the joists are at 90 degrees to the wall that it's on, I would think that 125 Gal should be fine.

It will weigh in the neighbourhood of 1500-2000 lbs, but ultimately, it's up to you to make an educated decision.

How's that for non-committal answer????

Rick

A common error that is made when people estimate at 10 pounds per gallon. This true for imperial gallons but aquariums are rated with US gallons which weigh 8.36 lbs. Also most tanks are rated on outside dimensions, where as the inside dimensions can take away a lot of volume. So to calculate this you would have to figure out the weight of tank, the stand, substrate and ornaments. Then the actual volume of water after displacement by rocks and substrate. It is highly unlikely that you would reach 2000 pounds.

I've had a 90 gallon in my living room for four years and even had a 180 gallon there for two years. But then again, I cannot say that this is a guarantee for you.

I have a 90 and a 120, about 20 feet apart in my living room,on opposite sites, perpendicular and against the bearing walls. The house has not fallen down yet. I do worry about potential leaks though.

My house is 40 years old.

If your basement is empty it would be easy to brace it from below, as close to a bearing wall would make a difference.

J

Edited by geleen

Very interesting link werner. Really does explain a lot about tank placement. Luckily for me, I keep my tank in the basement.

So, is there any questions you guys can't find an answer or a link to? You people on this site are truely the best. :thumbs:

houses are built stronger than you think, i wouldent hesitate to put a 125gal anywhere in my house. and if you need piece of mind, teleposts are cheap insurance

As a 'general' rule that is true. But as the article did say, anything over 90Gal should be placed perpendicular to the Joice and against a load bearing wall. Does that mean you will run into issues if it isn't placed there? not necessarily, just not ideal.

you are correct though, homes are quite strong, but they are not designed to have a large load in a small foot print and stationary.

Well everyone here has had no problems, i have. I had a 90 gallon against a wall that sprung a leak. It had a telepost under it as well. It still sunk inthe floor some what but i really noticed the flooring in my kitchen bubbling up. when the tank wa moved down stairs the flooring straightened out. just a word of caustion these air giant glass boxes of water that somtimes leak or blow up. Make sure your ready for what might happen even if it never does.

Well everyone here has had no problems, i have. I had a 90 gallon against a wall that sprung a leak. It had a telepost under it as well. It still sunk inthe floor some what but i really noticed the flooring in my kitchen bubbling up. when the tank wa moved down stairs the flooring straightened out. just a word of caustion these air giant glass boxes of water that somtimes leak or blow up. Make sure your ready for what might happen even if it never does.

true but leaks and things are hard to plan for. All you can do is have an action plan ready and your siphon handy.