Fishy dying issues

krazy_Karma

Well this last week I have lost 4 fish, my Ammonia and Nitrits are normal range, Ive not tested the Nitrates as yet, but Im thinking if those are normal then it should all be normal, there are no noticable issues, though one looked like it bloated but the others look healthy other than their are doing the back stroke.

Anyone have any ideas??

Oh these fish were moved from my 47 gal tank to the 80 gal tank two weeks ago, one filter is from the old tank, all the rocks are from the old tank...

Lisa

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fish did not appear slimmy or gooey, The fish while they were alive the fins were both up and down, I think my demonsoni is trying to leave the building and right now he is sitting in one corner with his fins down, just he isnt floating quite right.

Other than that they look nice, the dolphins I lost one went white after dying the other went a very bright blue, these dolphins didnt have the black on them, the electric yellow had a bloated gut looked like, and the Sunburst I lost, again outside of not floating quite right while on his last fins there, I would of never noticed anything wrong, there was not spots, no torn fins, no chunks missing....nothing to make me think there was a bacteria or something like that.

for the Ammonia and Nitrite tests I used the liquid for the ph I used the strip, by the way on the strip the ph said it was an 8...I have the liquid so am going to retest that with the liquid, could it be that...or stress....its kinda weird as the tank I put them in is litterly right beside the other tank and has all their own rocks, so I didnt think they would stress.

Lisa

80% of issues (deaths) are usually water related . If you've introduced new fish they could have brought illness with them. Do the fish gasp (open their mouths a lot)? Are they eating?

I use primafix type products to help heal injuries, salt/heat to catch any ick. When I get a sick fish of which I'm not sure what's wrong , it goes into QT and teated with darkness and frequent water changes. If it gets worse I use euthanasia . If it seems better I keep it there until recovery . I hardly use meds as I really don't know that much about them. I don't often lose fish, it always seems to be from injuries or old age. I lost Big Red due to a heat spike this summer. Quarantine and water changes, perhaps some salt is all I can recommend.

Wow Im a bit behind here....

Okay in the last day of their life yes they are "gasping", Ive added salt to the tank, and cycle, The only primafix product I had was for ick...at least I think thats what brand it was.

I am feeding them some flake food (one brand has a color inhanser) and some frozen brime about once a week if that..last time i feed the Brime it seemed I lost my electric yellow from bloat, so Im not feeding that to much any more...I have been feeding twice a day, I have in the tank right now

3 dolphins

3 polits

1 sunburst

1 lil guy Im not sure if he is a urysis or a yellow jake

2 demonsoni

2 obs

2 fronts

3 red zebra

2 eureka reds

1 red empress

4 electric yellow (still have the one from you Harold ;) )

2 petricola catfish

1 cobalt blue

1 argentea

1 Acei

Fish I lost are:

1 sunburst

1 red zebra (he was stressed I think he was guant looking)

1 electric yellow (he looked bloated)

2 dolphins

Other fish I lost but I beleive their loss due to stress or other fish

Urysis

yellow Jake

I have three filters in this tank, 2 new (bout a month old) and one older one... the Ammonia is at 0 and the nitrite at a .1

its an 80 gal tank with the three filters....

This is the only tank Im having loss in, well I lost one goldfish but I think something was not 100% since I got it, it just never did seem to pick up. and swim like the others.

The last fish I added to the tank was a while ago...back when I bought that last Polit and the yellow Jakes and stuff from harrold...I think about a month and a half ago.

Lisa

What is your water source? If city water are you treating it for chlorine and chloramines? If it is well water is it really good for drinking?

You'll need to do a large water change, I'm willing to bet it's not so good. I would start with a 50% and not add anything else to it unless you are treating it for those chemicals.

The fish have only been in the tank for just over a week, the water is Well water, the exact same water they have been living in, in the other tank for the last several months...which is why this has me baffled, the Ammonia and Nitrite show normal, the water source hasnt changed since June, As for the Brime I was feeding it more as a treat than a food source...I bought a bag of it bout a month ago and the bag isnt even half gone.

Oh poop I have to run late for the vet.

Lisa

... the Ammonia is at 0 and the nitrite at a .1

I would think the Nitrite (NO3) is what's killing your fish, your Nitrite should be at zero....

I would think the Nitrite (NO3) is what's killing your fish, your Nitrite should be at zero....

On the test kit, maybe Im miss understanding, my water doesnt stay clear, but it is matched with the first color on the kit test color panel... I dont have it in front of me right now but thought it went .1 - .2 - .3 and so on.

Lisa

On the test kit, maybe Im miss understanding, my water doesnt stay clear, but it is matched with the first color on the kit test color panel... I dont have it in front of me right now but thought it went .1 - .2 - .3 and so on.

Lisa

Nitrite is NO2. Nitrate is NO3.

My Hagen Nitrite test kit the scale goes .1 - .3 - .8 etc. My API Nitrite test kit scale goes 0 - .25 - .5 - 1 etc.

Nitrite level of 0.1 should not be lethal. IMO

Lisa

Nitrite is NO2. Nitrate is NO3.

Nitrite level of 0.1 should not be lethal. IMO

Here is a possibility. The tank is not cycling as fast as it should, perhaps the filter you took from the old tank is not large enough for your new tank. Nitrites are 0 in a well cycled tank.

Adding salt will help with the nitrites as will prime at the higher recommended dosage.

J.