Can fish inter-breed?

DaveDude77

Ok, this may be a silly question to most of you, but is it OK to have a brother and sister fish mate? Wouldn't that cause deformations and things like that? The question came up while the wife and I were talking about Cockatiels she's thinking about getting. Does anyone know if that is an issue with them? I know, I know, a Cockatiel isn't a fish but someone here might know. Anyway, I'm more interested in the fish part of the question.

You can breed brother and sister without worries... Fish aren't humans therefore they do not follow the same rules.

After a few generations of course its always better to bring in a new blood line. When I am breeding betta's its particularly important to have a sibling pairing when breeding. Not that unsibling pairing wouldn't be good enough cause all mine are not sibling pairs.. just the way the dice were rolled in my program.

:thumbs: Good luck

As for the bird issue, I am not sure!

Thanks BlackMumba. I was wondering where breeders got their other fish from to breed with but now it makes sense.

If anyone know's about the birds that'd be great but not nesassary. The wife may just have to find a good bird forum to ask questions on. Took me a while to find AA, and let me tell you, I'm glad I did. You people are awesome. :thumbs:

INTER-SPECIES breeding too? OK, I really sound like I don't know poop, and to be honest, I don't. Don't laugh too hard but I though all that interspecies stuff was done genetically in a petri dish or something. Come on now, I said not to laugh too hard. :blush:

:rofl: Oops, you said not too hard.

similar species can very well indeed cross breed, which is where hybrids come into play. And yes brothers and sisters will most definitely breed with one another if given the chance. To be honest though, for many species of fish, I would probably try to stick with breeding bros and sis with one another if they are F1's and F2's (other than bettas) and after that trying to get your males and females from different sources. I believe that inbreeding too much can cause deformities, so to keep the line the cleanest, different sources is usually the way to go. Guppies are usually one type of fish where there is lots of inbreeding and lots of deformities happening.

For example, in a tank that I service for my work, there are a bunch of yellow lab cichlids. There has been so much inbreeding going on for years that most of the fish look dirty. By dirty I mean they have lot's of black patches all over their faces and bodies, where a good quality one will not have any of this. So inbreeding can be good to a certain extent, but as mumba has said, it is always good to introduce a new bloodline a few generations down.

Another example, flowerhorns are a man made hybrid, created through lot's of experimental cross breeding between different species, and not only a couple species....they don't even know what the original fish were that were bred to make them. In turn this is what makes them extremely aggressive.

Edited by firestorm

• 1 month later...
thanx for this post i learned something new today....and no you should not interbreed cockatiels

Definately do not interbreed cockatiels, You will come out with some very ugly and deformed young and they most likely won't live to flight stage. The best place to buy them would be Tiffany's bird shop if they are still in business. Also be sure to buy about 3 males & 3 females but not from the same parents and let them pick there own partners.

Also remember that first time parents usually kill the first set or 2 sometimes 3 of babies out of fear. Mostly happens with young pairs because they have no idea what is happening, First the egg then a moving body, eg. It would scare the hell out of you if you went to bed with an egg under you and woke up to a moving body. As far as color goes if you have a grey mate with a white the offspring will be white / grey / pied(grey&white mix).

F1, F2 refers to generations, its also sometimes G1, G2.

WC= wild caught, F1= fry from WC parents, F2= Fry from F1 parents ect. Past F2 most people dont' keep track.

WC woll also some times be F0, FYI.