Drilling a tank

Boom

drilling and adding overflows. How hard is it to do? Who in edmonton will do it? and is it risky to ruin the tank?

I'll be getting a 150 or 180 gallon tank and I want to have a sump. If the tank I get isn't already drilled from factory, it will need to be done. Just wanna know the risks and where to get it done.?

There is always a danger of cracking the tank when drilling it. Just check the bottom to see if there is a sticker that says "don't drill" that usually means that it is tempered glass.

I believe Crystal Glass will drill for you - I was going to go that route, but found diamond bits at Princess Auto for $20 (set of 4), and did it myself. I drilled the side of a 33gal that I'm using as a sump - just followed the lead of the guy on YouTube that John posted.

Easy, peasy! :thumbs:

Wow. That looks really easy to do myself. I wold assume any warranty is out the window if you drill the tank yourself?

I'll be getting either a 150 or 180 gallon and may drill it myself then. Anybody else drill their own tank, at the bottom?

I wouldn't drill the bottom of anything smaller than a 90 b/c I beileve it's pretty standard that the bottom pane be tempered. Just an FYI. :)

Thanks. It will be my new 150 or 180 gallon tank. I will make sure it's not tempered.

I want to drill it to have the overflow in the center back of the tank.

Do many people use a Durso standpipe in their overflow? I was thinking that's the way to go???

Thanks. It will be my new 150 or 180 gallon tank. I will make sure it's not tempered.

I want to drill it to have the overflow in the center back of the tank.

Do many people use a Durso standpipe in their overflow? I was thinking that's the way to go???

If you can get 2 holes drilled, you may want to go with the Herbie overflow system - there are a lot of guys on CanReef who swear by it, and I'm enjoying it too! If you can only get 1 hole, then Durso would be a good way to go - or a reverse Durso, so the extra piping is in the sump and not in view of your tank.

I intend to drill two holes and have a durso standpipe. One whole sized for a 1 1/2" bulkhead and 2" piping for the durso. The second hole will be for the return.

Any idea how to figure out what size pump I would need to power the return? I was looking at a 3000 gph pump. Is that too much?

Jason, do you have any diagrams of how the Herbie system works?

Edited by Boom

Jason, do you have any diagrams of how the Herbie system works?

You can look it up on CanReef.com there are some great threads about the Herbie there.

Thanks. I will check that site out.

Any idea about my question on the pump?

It seems to me that if my pump does 3000 gph and the bulkhead were only 1" (inside diameter) which can only handle 600 gph flow thru, then my pump would pump the sump dry and overflow the tank before the standpipe (bulkhead) could keep up. Right?

So do I not need to try to match the flow rate leaving my tank (i.e. size of the bulkhead) with the pump pulling it out of the sump and back into the tank??? Or am I mis-understanding this?

O.k. I think I've figured it out. Obviously I was missing the fact that, the same as the flow out of the tank and into the sump is limited by the size of the bulkhead, the flow out of the sump back into the tank would be limited to the size of the return tubing. Right?

So even though the pump CAN do 3000 gph, it won't because it's limited by the size of the return tubing. (in my case it will likely be 1") So then is there any point to going with a larger bulkhead / drain pipe?

If it isn't clear, I'm new to the whole overflow, sump, durso standpipe thing. So any / all help is appreciated.

Your pump will move more water with pressure than your overflow will with gravity

If you can, go with a larger drain pipe. My 90 gal has 1.5" drains and 2x 3/4" returns - works great. This way the drain will be able to keep up with the pump and you won't risk overflowing the tank.