Estherrae

tc51

Ok can someone explain to a dummy like me, all I have read tells me that Metriaclima estherrae males are blue and female are orange.

I have 5 that I assumed were female, I now believe that I was wrong and I have 5 orange males, is this possable. Maybe line bred mutts.

:wacko::wacko:

Thanks for the help guys.

Will try to get a pic up as soon as I can.

Tom.

In the wild, males are blue, females are reddish.

Some wild red morph males were discovered, captured, bred, and used to create the common line seen today of red males/red females.

Not being exported for many years, the red males gradually overtook the blue males, which up to recent exports a few years ago, were few and far between.

Most common colouring for males today seen is red or a light pinkish colour. Blue on the fins can be a good indicator, but not 100% reliable (like eggspots on Ps. saulosi).

Blue males are hard to find.....just got my G2's from malawi_luver last week. First ones I have seen in Alberta since I started into cichlids a few years ago...

Is that the daddy of my babies Garret? Ooooo.... -ham-

I was wondering, are all the males from a red/blue spawn always blue?

The reason I'm asking is that the one female is soooo much bigger than the other fry and very agressive. She is also a paler orange than her sisters, with a tinge of blue in her fins, could she possibly be a he?? :wacko:

I dont think so... or at least im not certain :o i thought that the females were always orange and males blue ;)

Males were always blue you can tell the difference from birth... i should think that the one female is a female but i took more of the larger males to myself ;) so it might be possible but i wouldnt think so ;)

Garrett B)

Ok guys , thanks.

So it is possible I have all males, and they are not mutts after all. Just really orange

Here are a couple of pic, not the best, but you get what I am talking about.

Believe me Dunl It don’t take to much to confuse me, :wacko::wacko:

So given that the blue, orange sexing method is out, how do you, [other than venting] sex the orange morph.

Really nice fish, malawi_luver and Jods2518.

Thanks again guys

Tom.

Estherrae

Edited by tc51