Tank size.... does it make them happier?

geleen

Here is a subject for discussion.

I have noticed, as I am sure a lot of fish keepers have, that the fish behave different and seem more content,relaxed and happy as their tank size increases.

Sure stocking levels have an enormous impact. But on the whole they seem to do much better in a larger tank, and add to the owners enjoyment because they seem more content.

Sam Chicklet just posted some pictures of a fish that improved after being moved into a different environment for instance.

This brings into question keeping a 3" fish in a 10 gallon indefinitely for instance. Or a 12 " in a 90 gallon.

Opinions and observations please.

John

Edited by geleen

I can totally see where you are coming from. I have noticed it in some of my fish too, as soon as you move them to a larger tank they show their colors more often, and just seem happier over all. I believe it's because they have more room period, it's more like being in the wild for them.

:boxed: You would think they would have even been happy in a 108. You must be able to fit a ton of them in a 350 :)

You would think so wouldn't you, but they share the tank with a number of loaches and other bottom dwelling fish and as everyone grew, the space in the 108 got a lot smaller - go figure :huh:

Actually I had 6 congo tetras in the 108 and I have 14 in the 350.

Everyone in the new tank seems to behave more naturally than they did in the 108

I think it's pretty much a given that most fish will be happier in a larger environment. The lakes and rivers that the fish we keep come from, are far huger than any aquarium someone could have in their home. Of coarse there may be exceptions, where certain fish only occupy very small parts of their natural environment anyway. But for the most part I think the bigger the better.

My african cichlids seem happy in the 55, but I bet they'll be more happy in the 180!

John, I agree with your initial assessment. My haps colored up and stopped trying to kill each as much when I moved them into the 150. I think your question about the 3" fish in the 10 gallon and the 12" fish in the 90 is also interesting. On that one I think it depends on the species. Some fish use more of the tank than others. I also think it has to do with the skiddishness of the species. I couldn't imagine my tinfoils growing to 10 inches in a 90 gallon because they would be smacking into the glass so much! I could see an Oscar managing in that 90, however.

BTW, Rocker, 14,000 tetras in a tank would be insane! :thumbs:

Edited by GregL

John, I agree with your initial assessment. My haps colored up and stopped trying to kill each as much when I moved them into the 150. I think your question about the 3" fish in the 10 gallon and the 12" fish in the 90 is also interesting. On that one I think it depends on the species. Some fish use more of the tank than others. I also think it has to do with the skiddishness of the species. I couldn't imagine my tinfoils growing to 10 inches in a 90 gallon because they would be smacking into the glass so much! I could see an Oscar managing in that 90, however.

BTW, Rocker, 14,000 tetras in a tank would be insane! :thumbs:

:rolleyes: Who would want 14000 tetras? :shock:

I spawned some apisto cacatuoides in a 10 gallon, the male who is 3+inches was very unhappy the whole time he was in there. It did not stop him from fertilizing the eggs and being a good parent though. :smokey:

The lake kutubu rainbows.... same scenario; the male came from a 90 into a 33 he was P#$@$$d the whole time. Again no problem getting fry

I guess with some time the fish would do ok but would they have trived?......I don't think so.

John

I would tend to agree, bigger is better, but it would still have to be properly decorated to suit the species as well. If you have a totally bare 350 gallon thank, only certain fish are going to be happy in there.

Wouldn't we all be happier in a nice large house than in a one bedroom apartment? Lots of rooms to visit, change of scenery now and then, etc. Especially if we had to live there with a bunch of other people.

It did not stop him from fertilizing the eggs and being a good parent though.

Would living in the tiny apartment stop you from having sex? :eh:

Would living in the tiny apartment stop you from having sex? :eh:

Well, if I shared it with a bunch of other people, I probably wouldn't. I'm not the type that likes an audience. But that's just me.

My sentiment exactly.

If the space you are living in is not ideal perhaps one might feel unhappy and or depressed and sex could be the last thing you'd want.

John