Boom's 180 Gallon Tank Project

Boom

P1020707.jpg

P1020708.jpg

P1020709.jpg

P1020710.jpg

P1020711.jpg

The lighting is 4 35watt T5 bulbs in a single fixture (two seperate switches). I put 2 blue bulbs in and left 2 white bulbs in.

I absolutely LOVE the rocks, the sand and the lighting this way. I was told that the blue lights will help bring out the colors in the cichlids. If I find they're too washed out, I can switch 1 or both of the blue bulbs back to white.

Enjoy! I know I am!

Boom :boom:

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My plan is for the fish to be in Monday. I have a plethora of bacteria ridden filter media just waiting to be transfered. That and some healthy doses of Prime and I should be good to go!

Do you guys know what effects the blue lights may have on the fish and algae growth?

:wub: That tank is absolutely gorgeous. I love the finished product. It sure takes determination to get all of that built to look like that. Can't wait to see it with fish either. As far as the lights with algae growth go, I don't think you will see a huge problem considering the colors of the lights. But still only run the lights for about 9 hours/day when you don't have live plants.

The fish are in! Did it last night after I picked up some great mbuna (and a few Vics) from GregL. Thanks again Greg!

Anyway, I'll post the complete stock list and pics a little later tonight! All I can say is there are LOTS of fish!

Thanks for being patient guys and gals!

very clean, beautiful tank. I am really looking forward to the final out come with the fish added. Love the Rocks, out standing. Really look good with some fronts in it...

Alright guys, here are some preliminary pictures with fish.

The water is abit cloudy from the crushed coral I added to the sump the other night. Despite me rinsing and rinsing the stuff, it was pretty dirty.

Some of the pics are with the blue lights on, and a few are just the white lights. I'd like your opinions on what you think looks better too. Thanks!

P1020712.jpg

P1020713.jpg

P1020714.jpg

P1020715.jpg

P1020716.jpg

Stocklist:

Peacocks:

- 1 Aul. Rubescense (Ruby Red) 5"

- 1 Aul. stuartgranti (Usisya) 4" (Wild caught, beautiful fish)

- 1 Aul. Sp. Lwanda (Red-top) 5"

- 1 Aul. Sp. "O.B" 4"

- 1 Aul. Sp. "Sunburst" 3.5"

- 2 Aul. Stuartgranti "red shoulder" 5"

Haps:

- 1 Protomelas taeniolatus (Red Empress) 6"

- 1 Sciaenochromis fryeri (electric blue) 6"

- 1 Otopharynx lithobates 5"

- 1 Nimbochromis venustus 2.5"

- 1 Copadichromis borleyi (Kadango) 2.5"

- 1 Dimidiochromis compressiceps (Malawi eyebiter) 4"

- 1 Cyrtocara moorii (Blue moorii dolphin) 2.5" (Great color already!)

Mbuna:

- 1 Pseudotropheus sp. "Acei" (yellowtail) 5"

- 1 Pseudotropheus sp. "Elongatus Yellowtail" 3.5"

- 1 Metriaclima estherae (Blue) Blue Zebra 4"

- 1 Pseudotropheus sp. 3" ( Yellow)

- 2 Cynotilapia Afra Cobue 2.5"

- 3 Pseudotropheus Polit 2.5"

- 4 Pseudotropheus Sp. "Msobo" 2.5 - 3"

- 3 Labidochromis caeruleus (yellow lab) 3"

- 1 Labidochromis caeruleus (white lab) 2.5"

- 3 Pseudotropheus Elongatus

- 1 Metriaclima elegens "Gome" 3"

- 1 Iodotropheus sprengerae (rusty)

- 1 Pseudotropheus aurora 2.5"

- 2 Pseudotropheus demasoni 3"

- 2 Pseudotropheus saulosi 3"

- 2 Melanochromis cyaneorhabdos (maingano) 3"

- 1 Pseudotropheus crabro (bumble bee) 5"

- 1 Metriaclima estherae (Red zebra) 4"

- 1 Metriaclima estherae (albino Red zebra) 2.5"

- 1 Metriaclima callainos (blue cobalt) 4"

Vics: (I HAD to throw some in!)

- 2 Pundamillia nyererie 2"

- 1 Astatotilapia latifasciata 2" (Beauty!!)

Other:

- 3 Synodontis Lucipinnis 3"

- 1 Tropheus Sp. "red" Chimba 4.5"

That's 55 fish! Yikes! Haha. At least they're all males so no breeding aggression.

Now a question for you all with large tanks and sumps. I'm not real happy that only the top inch of water goes down for filtration (over the overflow). It seems that there is alot of floating fish poo and such that never gets sucked down there. What are my options to deal with some of this? I was thinking of addina a small but powerful submersible filter on either end of the tank. Other suggestions?

Thanks all.

Edited by Boom

Oh, and for those of you that are wondering what I did to cycle this tank before adding all these fish, I mentioned it before but I will go over again what I did.

Basically I DIDN'T cycle the tank.

I just added a TON (IMHO) of well established filter media at the same time as the fish. Will this work? Maybe. Will I still have a nitrite spike? Probably but I'll monitor it closely, add Prime when needed, and pray for the best. Would I recommend this method to others? Maybe. I'll let you know once I know I'm past the point of having cycling problems!

I added ALL the Bio media (ceramic rings and bio balls) from the two filters on my 55 gallon, a built in canopy filter and a Rena XP3. As well as half the bio media and sponges from my Fluval 404. I also had a 12" square piece of filter foam from a well established tank. Then there was the filter foam and floss from my 55 as well. This was all put in the flow of water in my sump.

HOPEFULLY, that's enough bacteria ridden filter media to handle my huge fish load. Hopefully.

As always, questions, comments and concerns are welcome.

Edited by Boom