Boom's 180 Gallon Tank Project

Boom

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is in fact a Ruby Red Peacock. He was the boss man in the 55, but now? Not so much! Ha ha.

I'm gonna do some more research on the floating poo issue. I'm not sure that just blowing it around more is the solution I need. There is tons of flow already with my 1900gph pump pushing thru the 2 spraybars I set up. And they're adjustable to point at different angles. It's just not getting enough to the top off the overflow box to get sucked down to the sump.

Boom :boom:

Hydor Koralia powerheads move a lot of water but have a more dispersed flow pattern than regular powerheads like a Maxijet. It would help keep fish poo suspended so that your filter can get it. Most reefers I know use these and I have one in my turtle tank with a sand substrate and have no issues.

Should have known the grand "Poo" bah would know how to keep the "poo" suspended!

:poo: -roll- That's too funny. I think Wallace might just have a good idea though. If you place powerheads near the bottom of the tank, you should be able to get enough movement to help the poo move and become suspended.

If you place powerheads near the bottom of the tank, you should be able to get enough movement to help the poo move and become suspended.

I think I'm gonna do that. Probably go with the Hydor Korilia 4's I think, one on either side.

It seems to be better now, just at feeding time they make a mess!

I got the inside of the canopy painted finally. A mold / mildew resistant white paint. Put the 6' hinge on it last night and put it on the tank. Looks good.

Updated pics coming soon.

I only have a cover on half the sump and I sure notice the humidity under there, so I have to make a cover for the other side too.

Only thing left to do is build the shelving to go on either side. Will hopefully start that soon.

Just wanted to post an upadate. No problems with the tank so far. I'm geting zero ammonia and nitrite readings and about 10ppm Nitrate for the past few days now.

No casualties at all, and although there are a few fish that are obviously sub-dominant, the is suprisingly little aggresion considering the all-male set up.

A few serious diggers in the crew are making some serious caves under my big rocks. No worries though cause they can't go anywhere. Sure is fun to watch them carry out mouthful after mouthful of sand tho. Today at feeding time I pushed all the sand back in the caves, just to give them something to do and so I could watch again! Haha! :D

Callie, your Peacocks are doing great.

GregL, All your fish are awesome, even that bully Tropheus who has beautiful color now and isn't getting out of hand at all. And those vics are some of my favorite!

I'm gonna try taking some real good pics soon as I have time to sit down and shoot them for an hour or so.

I havn't started the shelving yet cause I been busy in the shop making a christmas present for the wife. I did manage to rewire the light fixture yesterday. It now runs off two seperate power cords, each one on a seperate timer. So the white lights come on at 3pm, the blue on at 8pm, and the white off at 10pm and the blue off at 10:30. I'll see how I like that for a while and may adjust times.

Another update:

I did a water change and filter cleaning last night. To my surprise I found a fish in the overflow portion! No idea how it got in there but it was alive and well so I managed to net him out and return him to the main tank. I'll have to keep an eye on that.

I've also been unable to find 2 of my synodontis lucipinnis lately. I figured they were jus hiding out somewhere. Well when I went to squeez out some filter media, I found a bunch of fish bones stuck in the first level of filter media in the sump. I guess they died and got sucked there. Kinda sucks but I've had no other deaths or problems thus far!

Your tank looks awesome Boom!!!

When I set up my large tank, I did something similar put in lots of old filter media, and tons of stability, did this for a several days and never had a problem.

Love the variety of fish you have too.

Thanks Lana.

As an update. I have had NO problems with cycling. I' reading normal nitrate levels and never had an ammonia or nitrite spike at all! I've since done 2 water changes and nitrates stay around 10 ppm.

I've taken some new pics of the tank and fish, posted HERE for those that are interested.

Thanks for looking! I'm gonna get to building the shelving units ASAP after x-mas.

Alright, now I gotta fix something and was wondering the best way to do it. For the second time, today I found a fish in my sump. I guess it somehow got over the overflow and swam into the Durso standpipe and swoosh, down he went into the sump. Fortunately this one was still alive, unlike the little petricolas that earlier got stuck in the filter media and perished.

Anyway, I was thinking of either adding some screen or eggcrate over the overflow, but was concerned that this may make maintenance a bit more of a pain. The other thing I though of was just to put same screeen or eggcrate over the "entrance" to the durso standpipe, but this may get clogged up and block flow.

Other options or ideas???

Thanks

Alright, now I gotta fix something and was wondering the best way to do it. For the second time, today I found a fish in my sump. I guess it somehow got over the overflow and swam into the Durso standpipe and swoosh, down he went into the sump. Fortunately this one was still alive, unlike the little petricolas that earlier got stuck in the filter media and perished.

Anyway, I was thinking of either adding some screen or eggcrate over the overflow, but was concerned that this may make maintenance a bit more of a pain. The other thing I though of was just to put same screeen or eggcrate over the "entrance" to the durso standpipe, but this may get clogged up and block flow.

Other options or ideas???

Thanks

Personally I think the eggcrate for the overflows have too big of holes, and fish can swim into your overflow. I'd over lap some eggcrate and make the holes half of that size, or put a screen on it to stop this from happening.