AUSTRALOHEROS VALENTINES

Baos

I e-mailed Spencer Jack's after not hearing back from Mike. These fish are in fact Valentines, the others are not the same.

Hey Darren,

Mike indeed get the locales with me last year. (valentines is also referred to as Australoheros sp. locale) when they are not in breeding colour they do look like a lot of the others, but for example scittulus will have a bunch of cheek spots that stand them out. The red ceibals when they breed go orange if not almost to red in the body where locales will go more yellow and are much darker. (the ceibals are pinned up against brazil where the locales that mike has are about 300km to the south of their location.

If you look on my website the picture of the Blue Neon Gymnos, mike got the locales out of the exact same water to give an idea of the habitat.

Over all though most of the differences on australoheros really show up in breeding colours, other than scitulus and such that are easy to tell apart by the cheek spots, or even red breast cuaro that have the start of the red belly even at a young age (and are taller bodied)

Cheers.

Spence

Congrats Darren that is some very interesting info you got from Spencer. I just got my Red Ceibals a week ago. Not very much info on the net about our fish. Well I sure am glad you brought this subject up so we can all learn about these interesting fish.

Sean

I think the Red Ceibals are nicer. The ones I photographed have some eggs right now while the others have stayed much darker. I thought it was just stress. Whats odd about this fish is that it's been rubbing on the eggs for 3 days now.

Heres a pick of the fish I bought from Spencer Australoheros n. sp. red ceibal "Centurion"

ceibal_centurion4s.jpg

Heres a pic of the so called Australoheros Valintines

Australoheros.jpg

How can you think they are different?

Could that Valentines be in any better position, man! I haven't talked to Spencer about them, but they look very similar to me. It might be very little morphological difference in either breeding pattern, or size, besides the collection points or the rivers they occur into. I'll look into this and come back with a more compelling answer.

Wasn't sure they'd hatch.. but they did.. and it isn't perfect water. I counted about 8 that got fungus which the parents have removed.

hatchedbabies.jpg

I know it's not clear but in the back of the flower pot you'll see lil fry with their tails wagging up against the back, it isn't algae.

I do plan to photograph this fish when it isn't breeding. The two I have are possibly still very stressed as two sets of fish who are territorial are trying to breed at the same time. Their eyes are still completely black and their coat is like dark grey on black.

Edited by Baos

This topic spilled over into other boards now. I don't like posting links to other boards, so I'll just post this.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: Australoheros sp. "Red Ceibal"

Postby Bas Pels on Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:59 am

I keep both, and as they were kept in ponds sharing 1 wall, and jumped, the fish got mixed

It was, however not hard to separate them

Red cerbail are red - on the body. The eyes are brownish, and they have a slightly higer body

Valentines are yellow - with red on the fins, and red eyes. They bodies are somewhat lower build

Further the valentines are, when guarding fry, swimming somewhat higher in the water - although both species take the fry to the higer regions of the water, with the fry swimming above the parents. however, when looking closely at the fry, one of the parents jumped into my face. I never had this with Red Cerbail. (a nice way to surprise friends :lol: )

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: Australoheros sp. "Red Ceibal"

Postby Felipe Cantera on Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:33 am

well...my english is not enough :? ....but there is a lot of diff. between "Red Ceibal" and "Local"....better than (wrong) words, look at the all the pics on the site;

www.aqvaterra.com

If you look hard enough on his site you'll find a lot of information on these and more to come about their natural habitat. Also be carefull about which sites you do read from, I've seen photos on the net that seem to fit the wrong species identification.

And if you're really desperate to goto that board, the link is already in this thread.

• 2 weeks later...
Just thought I'd share some pictures of this rare fish. Picked up 4 of them at the Edmonton auction.

I don't know a whole lot about them, but from what I've read online with similar species from the area, I may have to make a separate tank for them and run a cold cycle for 3 months at 60 degrees.

I also picked up some GYMNOGEOPHAGUS PASO PACHE which really are too small to care about photographing right now.l

AUSTRALOHEROSVALENTINES1.jpg

AUSTRALOHEROSVALENTINES2.jpg

they are OUTSTANDING!!!!!!!!!

how big do they get??? Aggressive?????

A friend of mine also has some fish that need to be kept at 60 for 3 months. His basement doesn't get that cold, so what he is going to do is run a hose from a window in the winter, and mount it right on the top of the tank, or the vent that runs outside for the dryer would also work. Very nice specimens there :)

Any idea about which 3 months in the year Uruguay has the cold season? There is a store that sells mini a/c's that do a good job cooling a 5' by 5' area, or possibly I could build my own.

Also any word on if anyone has successfully bred these apart from some egg photos? or what might excite breeding?

Here is a Uruguay Weather site

Weather site for Uruguay

Here is the link found on that page to the local seasonal weather trends

Seasonal weather averages

Hope this might help you and I was thinking about doing cold air for my koi this winter and thought maybe an air pump in the fridge or a battery powerd one outside or near a draft/cold window/Fridge or freezer. I'd add a heater to make sure the temp doesn't drow too low though on your tropical fish as my koi are used to frozen ponds.

Good luck and they are some beautyfull fish.

Lisa

Edited by Ishkabod