Glass Lid question

rED O

I would like to make a glass lid for the 44 gallon Tank I am buying, so how would i got about doing so? The footprint of the tank is 36 x 18. I think there is a glass cutter around, but were would you guys recommend getting the glass and a hinge for then lid? Can anyone offer me some advice or tips.

Thanks.

I would like to make a glass lid for the 44 gallon Tank I am buying, so how would i got about doing so? The footprint of the tank is 36 x 18. I think there is a glass cutter around, but were would you guys recommend getting the glass and a hinge for then lid? Can anyone offer me some advice or tips.

Thanks.

I get all my glass at crystal glass. You can save money though by looking around if anyone is getting rid of old windows.

You can look at Architectural Clearing House - it's on 120st by the City Centre Airport. They have all kinds of glass. I have cut my own glass w. a cutter I bought from HD for $8 - used it to make baffles for sumps, cut glass for tanks, etc. You can find the hinges at a few of the LFSs around town. I'd just call your favorite to see if they have it, then work your way from there.

Edited by jvision

thanks, wow plexi glass cost lots, its almost cheaper to go buy a lid. I will also check out crystal glass.

Old windows from houses are very cheap. We find them at the dump all the time. Calgary has a place called Tim's Reusables that you find buy old house windows very cheap.

What about styrene, has anyone ever tried this stuff? I read that it is a better alternative to plexi-glass because it doesn't warp like it. What about price wise for it? Yeah plexi is more expensive than I first thought too. I think though if you were to put ribs on the plexi, it won't warp as much. For glass though I think just looking around would be your best alternative.

well at big als the lid is around $45-$50, if the other glass lids are a little bit cheaper but require more time and more driving around to get the parts Iam not sure its worth the time to save a little extra money. I might just got with the Big als lid.

Edited by rED O