AC Type vs. Cannister

tigerbarb

I'm looking for some opinions.

I have always used AquaClear (or similar) filters and they seem to work just fine. I'll have to replace the one I have on my 55 gal. soon and I'm told I should go with a cannister filter instead.

What are the pros and cons of each? Does it make a difference what size of tank you have?

ac's are great I use them on all my tanks. and yes golds is the best, so are ac 500's

they are much cheaper and do just as good a job imo

Edited by cichlidkid

A good friend of mine swears by canisters, he has an under gravel system and has the hose hooked right up to it. It sucks water from under the rocks and puts back in on top. Seems to keep his gravel very clean.

I my self prefer the AC 500's. Easy to clean, cheap and they still do a fantastic job. Only downfall I find is the tank cannot be against the wall.

They've both got their pro's and con's. I personally prefer to use both on my tanks. AC type filters are great in that they move a lot of water and do an excellent job of 'polishing' the water, keeping it nice and clear. But they do need regular cleaning, I like to clean my sponges once every week or two in order to keep their flow rates at their peak. Canister filters can't be beat for biological filtration (except wet/dry but that's a whole new ball game!), though because they don't move the same volume of water as an AC type the water can be a little cloudier. They have the advantage of going extremely long between cleanings, I've left mine for over a year with a no problems, but they are more time consuming to clean. I combine both to get the biological filtration of the canister with the water polishing of the AC type. As far as canisters go, there's plenty out there, but I'm biased towards Eheim due to the silent, flawless use over 10 years of my originals.