DIY background

Callie

Does anyone know how to make a DIY background that doesn't use styrofoam? would a spray foam work such as the brand 'Great Stuff' Sorry I don't know what its called but the yellowish white spray foam that expands. And after i put the epoxy on the first diy background I ever created it had al ot of reflection and shine. I have been sanding it down but its a pain in the @$$. So does anyone know what I could add to the epoxy to take away the reflective gloss look?.

before the foam drys cover it with sand, or let it dy and paint it with an apoxy Resin and before it dries cover with sand (colour of your choice) an let it dry.

22gtank1.jpg

beautytone epoxy 2 part Clear Coat and black sand

Edited by randy

The black stuff is by AquaScape - they call it Waterfall Foam b/c they use it to plug all the holes aroudn the water fall so all the water goes OVER teh falls and not seep in behind. I love the stuff!!

I like the sand idea, over top of the epoxy, I think that is what I will try. do you think that I really need to put epoxy over the cement?

Need for expoxy? Nope. I made a background useing the Quickrete cement. Water parameters have been great and no problems after 2 months. I will tell you what you might expect however.

At least 3 coats of the cement. Which requires a full day drying per coat (or more, i gave them a day) and then a 2 day dry time before you add water to fill at the end. The PH is pretty high for while (for me 2 weeks or so) but i've heard that filling it up and emptying it out several times can speed up the process(i only did it daily).

IMPO i don't like the look that epoxy gives, i find it to be unnatural. The quickrete color is not too bad either. You can also add diff colorings to it as well.

Regards

Devon

Here is a link to an awesome background. Can't wait to do mine now for sure. I went and got my styrofoam today:)

http://westerncichlids.com.au/diy-aquarium...kground-part-1/

and part 2

http://westerncichlids.com.au/diy-aquarium...kground-part-2/

I dont like the epoxy look either, I used that on the first one and that last few days I have been sanding it down to take away some glare, first I used a fine sander pad and then finished it with 600 grit water proof sand paper, it did make some difference, but Im sick of sanding so I will make do with what I have. Who ever said the first attempt would be a master piece, lol.

As for jonnytens I used west system 105 and 206 slow hardener Group A, the only place that I could find it was way up north calgary by the airport. This was the only one I knew of that was not toxic to the fish. I may have these numbers mixed up but johnny I can send you a message when I get home and can check.

The pieces are being siliconed to glass as we speak so tomorrow I think I will do the empty and refilling about 10 times because I have fish coming in from edmonton on saturday.