Planted Tanganyika woot-Updated

dk77

Finally finished most of my basement off and got my 100 gallon back up and running. I love tanganyika fish, but also love to have plants in my tank, so decided to combine the two. Everything seems to be going good so far, fish and plants both seem happy just hope it stays that way :). Big thanks to Harold (fairdeal) for the calvus and compressiceps and another big thanks to Jen (shanyesmommy) for the julies. Only have one decent pic of the fish, but will test out the camera skills again soon to try and get some more. Any comments would be appreciated.

DK

tank1ic3.jpg

tank2mr6.jpg

tank4un8.jpg

fish1wr2.jpg

Edited by dk77

Looks nice! Your Anubias (you have a couple different spp.) may do better attached to the rocks - I've found that when they're in the sand they don't grow as well.

Very nicely aquascaped, too! :thumbs:

Looks awesome!

Thanks for the comments guys.

Thanks for the advice J, I've got a few nana's attached to the rocks they are just very tiny atm, and the lanceolatas are tough to attach, but maybe I'll attempt to attach a few.

I cannot wait for the dust to settle to slough shark, I mixed in some seachem onyx sand with the black flourite sand I bought and holy did it make the tank cloudy, its been 3 days of filtering with filter floss and still have silt. The tank is actually full of fish, have 5 petricolas, 4 black calvus, 4 goldhead comps, 6 julies, and a few oto's, they are just tiny and hard too see through the muck. Still waiting for my blue phantom and butterfly pleco's hopefully they show up soon.

• 3 weeks later...

I just finished with a similar setup in a 125g. So far the Anubias are doing well with no fish in the tank yet. I've seen at least 10 new leaves so I gues it's liking the water and light. My biggest concer is the growth of algae that is accumulating on the leaves. I need some plecos to take care of this problem. Any suggestion on the type of plecos? Is your blue phamtom helping at all with the algae on the plants?

Hey Felixc;

Thats awesome your going for the same type of setup, I love it so far. My anubias and Limnophila aromatica are doing pretty good too, however I think the red tiger lotus is on its last legs :(. As far as algae goes Im in the midst of the battle between brown and green algae, I am getting lots of algae on the plant leaves as well. For pleco's I have a clown pleco, the blue phantom, and a few otocinclus. The blue phantom and clown seem to stick to eating the algae on the rocks and glass, the only ones that really clean the plants are the oto's. I thought they might not like the high PH but all seem to be doing fine. The clown pleco is a real algae vaccume, but he doesn't really touch the plants. Hope that helps :)

Edited by dk77

• 4 months later...
Very nice! Those plants are filling in nicely. Who's your favorite algae eater now?

Looks wise I would definately go with the Blue Phantom, that pleco looks amazing. In regards to keeping the tank clean I would have to go with the SAE, that guy is constantly cleaning the plants and rocks.

Thanks Degrassi and slough shark :)

Does the SAE clean the glass to?

no, not really, the SAE sticks mainly to the plants and rocks. The pleco's and oto's keep the glass fairly clean, but I still have to mag clean it once in awhile.