Transaction feedback forum / rating mechanism

I recently purchased some plants from another forum member as a result of my WTB classified and was absolutely impressed. I came back home with the plants and (after adding the plants to the aquarium) I edited my WTB classified title to indicate that I've found what I was wanting to buy. I then wanted to add an additional reply to the classified's thread to say thank you to the seller and let everyone else know that it had been a more than successful transaction. Unfortunately, my classified had already been sent to the archives and I was unable to post my reply.

I think that it would be very beneficial to have some mechanism of posting feedback about a transaction. Several other aquaria-related forums use iTrader (looks like it’s an exclusive add-on to the vBulletin forum engine) and I have observed that it is used and referenced with great success. I don’t know if there is an analog for the IP.Board engine that AA uses, but I suspect that other members might find it helpful to find and add member transaction feedback in a central location… be it a simple moderated forum, or some spiffy add-on function.

My two cents. I am now going to PM my kudos to the member who sold me the plants **coughcoughjvisioncoughcough**.

I recently purchased some plants from another forum member as a result of my WTB classified and was absolutely impressed. I came back home with the plants and (after adding the plants to the aquarium) I edited my WTB classified title to indicate that I've found what I was wanting to buy. I then wanted to add an additional reply to the classified's thread to say thank you to the seller and let everyone else know that it had been a more than successful transaction. Unfortunately, my classified had already been sent to the archives and I was unable to post my reply.

I think that it would be very beneficial to have some mechanism of posting feedback about a transaction. Several other aquaria-related forums use iTrader (looks like it’s an exclusive add-on to the vBulletin forum engine) and I have observed that it is used and referenced with great success. I don’t know if there is an analog for the IP.Board engine that AA uses, but I suspect that other members might find it helpful to find and add member transaction feedback in a central location… be it a simple moderated forum, or some spiffy add-on function.

My two cents. I am now going to PM my kudos to the member who sold me the plants **coughcoughjvisioncoughcough**.

I like it! I have met some very nice folks here and this would help to acknowledge them.

John

The idea was passed around a couple of years ago and we decided that more people would use it for bad points not good ones. If you would like to thank some one you can post it in the water cooler though.

• 5 months later...

Okay, I thought I had mentioned something about this earlier. I just tried posting in an archived classified thread, but couldn't. Again.

I understand that there are differing views on a points-type feedback system, but can we at least leave the archived thread open to post followup comments? The suggestion to post classified-related 'thank you's in the Water Cooler section seems odd to me (and totally disconnected). Since the classifieds archive is there for user research (item price, availability, etc), wouldn't it be beneficial for users also to see related post-transaction comments [in the same thread] (about item quality, seller reliability, general "woohoo!" statements, etc) instead of hiding them in the Water Cooler?

There doesn't seem to be any admin issues with posting these kinds of comments in a Water Cooler thread... so why not be allowed to put those comments where they make the most sense?

I'm stepping off the soapbox on this issue now. If I am one of only a few who feel that this is important, then I guess don't worry about it. I certainly won't speak for anyone else, but the admin is welcome to invite comments from other users if they think it is worth while.

Thanks for listening! Just had to grrr out loud ;)

Tanker is looking into what (if anything) will work with our system.

• 1 month later...

Just a follow up for this thread. I have looked into several options, but none of them really ie in with the Buy and Sell forum without modifying the board past a certain point.

That said... there ARE two different systems in place on the forum already. Both are accessed though the member Profile feature. There is a '5 star rating' system and a 'user comment' system in place, that is actually exactly what people have asked for - just need to look for it.