Fruit of effort

Iceturf

Next addition  

12 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Nov28088.jpg

I started this tank's tropical setup around the end of November of 08, was a goldfish aquarium before. Thanks to a fellow AA member, I as able to get all the plants you see above. (cough *Werner* cough cough) This aquarium consists of an ~18 gallon, tall (think two 10 gallons stacked), with a fuval 104 (I forget who, but got this from another AA member for an awesome price. Twas basically brand new, thank you) with a DIY lighting system and usually DIY yeast CO2. After using regular aquarium rocks for many years, I decided to switch to something more interesting; another AA member was selling large weather loaches and I chose to try out some sandblasting sand as a substrate (extremely soft and sinks decently). This worked out well for the loaches, as they buried themselves constantally. Another note, at this time I had many rooted plants. My loaches were constantally digging and related, my plants grew well. They only showed signs of Vitamin K and Iron deficencies (resolved quickly). After having these awesome guys for a while, I discovered shrimp and switch to them. However if I get the chance, I'd like to set up a weather loach tank. The loaches are now housed in a large goldfish aquarium (maybe a pond now, I don't know). Anyways, after the loaches were gone my rooted plants didn't seem to do so well. I didn't think about the impact on root systems since my substrate is so fine and therefor compact. As a result, I added some dirt a while later, sandwiched between layers of sand to give roots something to grab and grow into. Also added 4 MTS, but they don't want to reproduce and as such, my substrate stays compact.

Note: While many people have problems with snails over-running the tank or being a nuisance, I have not had that problem. Now when I say I have not had that problem, I mean that my snails (discluding MTS's) have stayed small; under 4mm's for the most part. I can't figure this out, my snails reproduce seldomly and stay tiny (I haven't given this much thought). If course, there are a couple that are bigger, large enough to reproduce

Plants:

-Riccia

-Trace amounts of pellia (maybe not anymore, recently rescaped. I like this plant but I suck at growing it. Will have to get some more)

-Mayaca Fluviatilis

-Limnophila Sessiliflora

-Hydrocotyle

-Java Moss

Plants I want:

[] HC, a neat forground plant

[] Hygro Compacts (different than the above one, also a forground plant, but much different)

[] Java Fern

[] A flowering plant

Fish I have:

-Five neon tetras

-Three Otocinclus's (my walls went from brown to whiteish clear within a few weeks, now I need to feed them myself!)

Fish or related that I want for this tank

[] Red Cherry Shrimp (last time I had these guys, I messed something up)

[] Green Shrimp or Red Crystal Shrimp

[] Blue shrimp or Snowball shrimp in the far fetched future. At which point I will likely have a species tank just for them

[] Maybe Endlers or small Guppies, not 100% shrimp safe so ...

Feel free to help me out with any of the want's, happy to trade any of the plants that I have in good numbers. :smokey:

DIY Lighting: One t8 18" strip light and two 15w daylight bulbs. Should re-rig the reflector, but I'm too lazy

DIY Co2 Yeast: outputs into my filter output. Not the best Co2 absorption but pretty self governed and simple.

Costs:

Tank $30 on sale, to my knowledge, this tank is no longer in active production (not a big seller?)

Lights $50, ouch shoulda just looked for a good used set. But nothing's 23"< thats small enough

Substrate $10, buying big bag from hardware store next time for $5

Fish ~$40, my neon tetra's musta been from a new shipment because I only have 5 now. Had bought 5 before and all survived.

Filter $30

Plants $15, now paying for themselves in trades and related. To share the same offer I got on plants, I give them away sometimes (: (unforchunetaly, my tank isn't large enough that I can give away that many)

Other ~$20

Total: $195, too much now that I total everything up, but thats alright. Tis my first tropical aquarium.

Tank as of March28 th, 09

IMG_1533.jpg

Enjoy (:

Edited by Iceturf

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nice, what kind of sand is that? look nice and light colored.

Believe it or not, sandblasting bead sand (off hand I forget the exact name, but I'll check a bit later)-"Eco-Glass"

Edited by Iceturf

Nice tank.

Is that substrate from SIL industries? Other source? I'm assuming it's not too abrasive for loaches?

I don't know the maker of the sand, but I got it from "Princess Auto" (around 10$ for 10kg's or something like that, not the best deal on sand, but I didn't need that much) The loaches are always digging in the stuff and I haven't noticed any gill or other damage so I would think not.

I've read quite a bit about using that sandblasting sand and it definitely seems to do just fine.

So far so good, I'm just hoping the plants take root (er the ones that grow roots that is)

-converted a few mosses over to aquatic from my lawn, I'm hoping the dirt their roots cling to brings in nutrients