Breeding pair breaking up?

Vallisneria

I have a breeding pair of Julidochromis marleri in a planted 20g. About 2 months ago I noticed the female was hanging out towards the top or the tank, under the filter output, when normally she would be in her flower pot close to the male. I didn't think anything of it as she looked healthy and was still eating.

Well its been 2 months and she is still "hiding" at the top of the tank. The male stays at the bottom in amongst the plants. They used to spend all their time together but lately the only interaction I've seen between them is when the male goes up to her and they have a quick "fight"(posturing and quick movements, nothing mean). Then they both go back to their seperate areas.

Is there anything I can do to make them pair up again? Or are they done for good :(

You could try some romantic music maybe some candles and some shrimp on the menu lol sorry val couldn't resist

I found with the jewels i had they did the same thing when iseperated them from the main tank as soon as I put them back in the main tank again they started to get all lovy dovy again don't know if it because of the other fish or what but I would try it hope that helps

Edited by Tracked maniac

I have a few platies and a celebese rainbowfish in with them.

They ignore each other most of the time. The female seems to hang out a bit with the platies at the top and the male stays in the plants.

If they continue the way they are I might try removing one and adding it back. Would it be better to remove the male? How long should they be separated from each other?

I wish I knew what caused them to break up. I never saw them fighting. Just one day the female was swimming alone on the other side of the tank.

Have you tried re-arranging the decor? Maybe they're just bored with it. Take their pot out for a week, then put it back in and rearrange stuff.

I haven't tried that yet. I"ll try taking out the pot and the driftwood but the rest of the tank is heavily planted so I can't really do much with that.

If removing any of them I would remove the male. If you were to remove the female and put her back in a while later, the male might be really aggressive with her. Maybe they just don't feel like breeding right now, don't know. While you have the male out (if you try this), you should condition both of them with good food, and maybe once you put the male back they will want to breed instantaneously ;)

I had moved my jewel pair to a 15gal to breed and they didn't like that so they sort of broke up. I moved them back to the main tank and left them and about 2 months or so later they paired up again and now i have a wonderfull batch of babies YAAYYY.

Good luck with the flowerpot and/or removing the male. It might take quite a while for the female to warm back up to the male once he is back in the tank so unless she continues to avoid him when he gets back then you should just have to wait.

have fun

L

• 1 month later...

Success! They female and male are both in the flower pot!

I completely re did the tank when I had to catch some babies. I removed half the plants and reversed all the decorations. For the first week the female was still "hiding" at the top of the tank. But today I just noticed them both hanging around each other and coming in and out of the pot.

I guess changing up the decor put them back in the mood.

Congratulations. I wish i could have done that with my jewels but the issue was a smaller tank not the decor. Now Mr. Blue is in there and couldn't be happier. and my jewel pair i think just had another batch of babies. YAAAYYYY.

Happy New year

L