Water change CATASTROPHE WHYY

Ishkabod

Well for me... New used tank, cycled filter media from old tank, rinsed but not scoured/disenfected gravel, 25 % old water, did it like a 75% water change.. they were good for about 24 hours then as I am out of town cell rings and hubby says my fish are gasping at the surface and starting to roll. does this sound like a spike? Ph was 7.2 and Nitrogen was .75 I think..is it bad? see I have never tested my water until lastnight and was thinking ok, something has to give, ran to 24hr wallyword and bought goodies to check this stuff out but since I know squat about the actal ph/nitrate/amonia..I am lost...hence me asking you!

Opinion?

Again in the same time frame as Ishk

Yours sounds more like an ammonia spike .....

That was my thoughts too..good to know I am not just blowing smoke up my own... as I said I have no clue, follow directions and was seeing what happed, did a water change againaround midnight, they all seemed fine at 8am. Hopefully no more casualties, thing is, went and bought the kits etc, and they had no countermeasures..was thinking great I can test for all this, but how do you fix it?

Okay well io know it wasn't any cleaners i might have been useing since bathroom and bedroom cleaning days are monday and tuesday. I tested the water and everthing seemed fine. Within an hour the fish didn't look stressed or anything anymore so i'm sure it's not Amo,Ites,Ates. I suspected PH but that turned out to be steady before and after the water change. I don't have a substrate right now in the tank so there couldn't have been a buildup of anything. Hmm I know I dosed with prime since the bottle and syringe were open and wet from use before i added a second dose. I'm still stumped. The real kicker for me was that the fish weren't gasping for air at the top of the tank.

Thanks for all the suggestions and i'm not sure about the broken water main but i think they notify peopple about that so it probably isn't that either. I'm stumped.

thanks again for all the help

Lisa