fish scrapes and battle wounds

Baos

Not sure this is a real emergency but I would hate for something to happen. Got into a fight with another fish and this is the end result. Just wondering if or how I should treat it. I have a spare 10 gallon or a 1 gallon I could use for something. I don't suspect there will be anymore violence as they are usually docile. It may have wondered into anothers nest.

fish1001.jpg

I love the smell of the stuff too.

Just don't drive after smelling too much, ok, Ryan? lol

I've found that Melafix works well, but the main factor is clean water. Now I only use Melafix if I am really worried and it looks serious. For sure use the smaller tank to save some money if you are using the Melafix. Good luck!

Edited by GregL

2 died, I moved the rest of the species to a 10 gallon tank and doused with some melafix as another one is damaged. Different fish decided to breed and beat everyone up.

Edited by Baos

One that only had a tiny scrape on one fin now has a huge gaping hole in the fin, and a white thats spread to the body around the effected area and appears it could be growing. It's about 1-2cm radius from the effected area. I have been treating with melafix, but it doesn't seem to be getting better. When I started the treatment there was no hole in the fin, just a lil tear.

One that only had a tiny scrape on one fin now has a huge gaping hole in the fin, and a white thats spread to the body around the effected area and appears it could be growing. It's about 1-2cm radius from the effected area. I have been treating with melafix, but it doesn't seem to be getting better. When I started the treatment there was no hole in the fin, just a lil tear.

If it is a "fluffy" white groth then you are probably dealing with a fungus and not a bacteria. Melafix won't treat fungus, try Pimaifix from the same company. It works in a couple of days if you catch the fungus soon enough and smells too. Sniff sniff Boom :rolleyes:

Cheers

:beer:

I'm now treating it with some wide spectrum antibiotics. This is a picture from earlier today. melafix is completely useless as it was treated with that from the beginning before anything was serious. At this point I don't expect the fish to last long, but it does look a little better.

fish.jpg

I change just under 30% of the water once a week. however since the crazy breeding the main tank has been a little overpopulated. This fish is quaranteened in the 10 gallon with its babies and other mate. It's been getting a 15% water change daily.