O.K. guys, got a challenge for you!

Majestic_Aquariums

I need to find some type of electrical motor, relatively small. The challenges are:

Geared to roughly 40 rpm

reversable-preferably DC volts?

shaft that can handle 2-2" pulleys

I checked Princess Auto, can't find anything that will work under all those conditions.

The reason I need this, I am trying to have a system that is motorized to raise and lower a reflector/lighting system within a LARGE canopy.

I don't mind even purchasing a new appliance, and gutting it if that's what it takes.

Throw out some suggestions if you have em-could really use feedback!

Rob

IF you are in Red Deer you could check with the Home Health care stores they often are able to get motors and actuators for wheel chairs, lift etc that are geared to run slowly. I used to work for Shoppers Home health Care and they have a location in Red Deer Just of Gaetz next to Tony Romas. Often they have parts available in store or can get you something that would work. I'm guessing an electric actuator arm might work as well.

Hope this helps,

Bernie

Would those motors have the torque required? There will be approx 30 lbs. max on the cables. The whole idea is for a hood/reflector to be lifted inside a tall canopy. I thought of those, and almost started wrecking the Boy's toy truck. But it doesn't seem strong enough! Would a professional one be strong enough? How much $$$

BeerMaster, you stole that suggestion off CanReef! :tongue: Just kidding. If not, you're damned smart. Another thought was a rotiserie motor. Only thing is, will they reverse?

Edited by Majestic_Aquariums

Yea i got a good laugh about that, i saw that like right after i posted here lol

but no i didnt steal it, but what can i say great minds think alike.

I would think they would, my RC racer would prob break you ankle if i hit it LOL

there are different motors avail, with different turn ratings, get your self a good low torque motor and i think you would be good to go

Mark

Edited by Beermaster

Just a thought on your puzzle, not 100% it would work for you.

But have you looked into a power window motor from an older vehicle(say 80's).

not sure of the RPMs but one would lift the weight you mentioned and they are reversable(just a matter of reversing the current) and you can pick one up at your locale auto recycler for under $50. There are a few different models from gear driven to braided steel line driven. PM me if you have any questions.

Cheers

Paul.

In response to your posting have you ever considered air actuators? they carry them at princess auto little expensive but the work awsome and sound really cool. I used a pair to lift a large LCD monitor out of a desk(geeky stuff I know)

Hmmm. Sounds like a cool idea. A monitor that rises out of your desk? Cool. I haven't really searched these out yet. I am still toying with the rotisserie motor idea, but fear now that once the power is off to it, the lights will lower themselves down-not sure yet though. The drill idea would work, except for that prob. too. The car window motor would work better than all of these for that prob. but rigging all that up will take some time, which I can't spare-gotta install this stand in 5 days!

All of a sudden, the counter-weights are looking REAL good. Besides, if I use this idea on a paying customer, my own stand won't be as cool! :lol:

Rob

well 5 days is not much time to help and i just seen this thread but here goes

we use thease at work and they wont slip are reversable and can be hooked to anything dc/ac drill whatever....take a look and see if they are what you are looking for

http://www.powerjacks.com/Power-Jacks-Screw-Jacks.htm

use the home page to find all the types i just linked the ones i thought best for your needs