Some nice CANADIAN photos of Panda Gold arowana Part One

stratos

It's an RTG, or more accurately an offspring from an RTG x XB.

A number of farms have created their own hybrid crosses, with fancy farm names to match, basically giving their RTG's the potential to reach 5th or 6th level shine as well as stronger base colors, such as blue/purple. You'll often get mixed results from such hybrid breedings, so it's a bit of a gamble when buying juvenile fish. As long as they are sold as an RTG, you really can't go wrong.

Funny, I've known Gerry for a while, I knew that he was CANADIAN, but had no idea that he was into aro's.

His photography skills just keep getting better & better.

Edited by RD.

Funny, I've known Gerry for a while, I knew that he was CANADIAN, but had no idea that he was into aro's.

His photography skills just keep getting better & better.

I have over a dozen Asian arowana coffee table books I picked up in Asia. Gerry's photos are equal to or exceed the quality of any of them. Along with the Taiwanese fellow Nathian Chaing (who collaborated with Derek Goh on Awakening of the Dragon) and the Indonesian fellow Hendri Leong (of the Indodragon series), Gerry is in the top tier of Asian aro photographers I think. Gerry has some other photos of aro tank mates that are equally mind-blowing...

As much as I like Gerry, and I do, I think he has a ways to go before I would place his photo skills at the same level of someone like Ashdavid. But that's just me.

http://www.bcaquaria.com/forum/golden-cros...k-showcase.html

And that fish was only 8" when the pics were taken. They were also included in Hendri's Indodragon 5 edition.

As much as I like Gerry, and I do, I think he has a ways to go before I would place his photo skills at the same level of someone like Ashdavid. But that's just me.

And that fish was only 8" when the pics were taken. They were also included in Hendri's Indodragon 5 edition.

But that fish is a juvenile, has WTT, and is in a still shot photograph; I can aspire to take a photo like that if I spend a couple grand on a young fish and photograph it before the WTT wears off (or go through the learning process of doing WTT myself I suppose). Gerry's fish cost only a few hundred bucks, has been raised by him for years under "normal" circumstances like most hobbyists would do, and the photos are action shots. Gerry's photography speaks more about his skill as a hobbyist than it does about the size of his wallet. Sure, Ash David's shots are amazing. But the very fact we are comparing photos of fish that vary so greatly in price speaks to Gerry's mastery as a hobbyist of both Asian arowana and photography. :)

And without stepping on another land mine (I hope), I can tell you a funny story. I was speaking with an Asian arowana photographer, looking at photographs. I pointed out one particularly nice one and he said "Yes, isn't it a great one? I haven't even PHOTO-SHOPPED it yet!". Everyone in ear shot laughed and it was not a tense moment. :) lol I suppose it is just naive to think that photoshopping is not part of the process for most aquarium photographers? I am an SLR point-and-click photographer myself, so I don't know. I'll have to ask Gerry whether there is a "photoshopping angle" to his photos or not.

Finally, the Japanese and Taiwanese have been keeping Asian arowana and photographing them for decades now; it hardly merrits mention these days. To have homegrown talent like Gerry (or Ryan) coming up in our midst in Canada makes me proud. It shows the hobby is taking root here. And so I stand by my assertion that Gerry is top-tier! :)

If Gerry's technical prowess as a photographer is still questioned, these photos should settle it I think:

http://arowanaclub.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=1263

:)

(I don't understand why I just made three replies to this thread. Moderator, could you delete the previous two? Thanks)

Edited by stratos

You obviously missed my point Theo, I wasn't comparing fish at all, I was comparing the skill level of each photographer.

It could have just as easily been photos of a $5 guppy that we were comparing.

The only place that the size of ones wallet would come into play would be in the money spent on photography equipment, and perhaps the time that they allot to learn to use that equipment at its maximum potential.

Gerry is an excellent photographer, I never questioned that, I'm also quite certain that I have seen far more photos taken by Gerry than you have. If you asked Gerry, I bet he'd agree with my earlier comment.

If you don't believe me feel free to invite him to this discussion. :)

Ryan's skill level in photography isn't even in the same ballpark as Gerry, or David. LOL (no offense buddy)

BTW - photo shopping a photo does not necessarily equate to something negative. It is commonly used by professional photographers to tweak/remove certain portions of the overall image, such as removing a water mark in the background, etc-etc. Using photo shop doesn't necessarily mean that the photographer has enhanced or in any way changed the image of the actual subject matter.

My brother spent many years earning a living taking "action shots" of wildlife etc, and has been published many times in various well known publications, so perhaps my eye is slightly better tuned for fine detail, than yours. That fact that you mentioned Ryan in this topic pretty much confirms so in my mind. :)

Either way, I wasn't in any way questioning Gerry's technical prowess as a photographer, a fish keeper, or anything else, and I just wanted to clear that up. Gerry's fish, and his photo taking skills are A-1 in my books.

Edited by RD.