Upgrading Malawi's.. Any suggestions?

Trabby

My husband and I are thinking about converting our 90 gallon Tropical to a Malawi tank. Our Cichilds have been in the 46 bowfront since they were very young. We currently house, 4 electric yellows, 4 red zebra, and 3 kenyi which appear to be all males. If we do the tank switch, adding a few new cichlids is definately the plan. Does anybody have any suggestions?

How do you know they are al males?

You could definitely stick with the all male plan and just get some more males of different species. You have alot of (all) yellow / orange already there so you may want to get some blue fish, maybe electric blues, salousi's or something similar. You could also add female counterparts for the species you already have, but will need to keep a close eye on aggression. Your choices are really endless when it comes to africans. It all depends on what you want the tank to look like in the end. Are you going for maximum color, different fish shapes, or just a nice peaceful tank.

Have you done some searches and looked at other african tanks to see what you want it to look like? That is really the key. And we can help you out more from there.

Boom :boom:

If you go with several species you'll run into survival of the fittest . Ensure you have more hiding places than fish . The blues IMO are the most eye catching especially when paired with the yellows. I started with a few of everything but have narrowed mine down to yellow/blues/blacks. It's less confusing for the eye when you sit in front of your tank to observe them .

Our kenyi we believe to be all male as they have all turned from blue to yellow. As for the zebra and the labs we aren't exactly sure. ALthough I am fairly sure than one of the labs may be holding. We are thinking to definately add blue but also maybe a couple of other interesting species as well if possible . Thanks for your reply

How do you know they are al males?

You could definitely stick with the all male plan and just get some more males of different species. You have alot of (all) yellow / orange already there so you may want to get some blue fish, maybe electric blues, salousi's or something similar. You could also add female counterparts for the species you already have, but will need to keep a close eye on aggression. Your choices are really endless when it comes to africans. It all depends on what you want the tank to look like in the end. Are you going for maximum color, different fish shapes, or just a nice peaceful tank.

Have you done some searches and looked at other african tanks to see what you want it to look like? That is really the key. And we can help you out more from there.

Boom :boom:

You have many options when choosing Malawi's. I have found Kenyi's to be very aggressive. Make sure you have tons of hiding spots.

If your trying to sex your fish, there is a ton of info on the web. This is what i know of the species you have.

Electric Yellows- The males will have a lot more black on there fins. The main difference will be on the bottom fins. Females will tend to have a lot less or none at all. Males will also be larger than the females.

Kenyi- Males will turn the orange/yellow color while the females will stay blue.

Red Zebra- The only way i have found to sex these guys is looking at there egg spots. These are located on there bottom back fin. Anything over 4 egg spots is male. Anything less is usually female. This isn't bulletproof but works most of the time.

So if i had to say what I had sex wise it would be as follows

Electric yellows- 2 male /2 female

Red zebras- either all male or 3 male 1 female

As far as the kenyi........ they all turned yellow, but one is way smaller than the others and his bars or stripes extend into his fin. I have thought from the beginning that maybe he isnt kenyi. What would you suggest to add in to the mix?

/

You have many options when choosing Malawi's. I have found Kenyi's to be very aggressive. Make sure you have tons of hiding spots.

If your trying to sex your fish, there is a ton of info on the web. This is what i know of the species you have.

Electric Yellows- The males will have a lot more black on there fins. The main difference will be on the bottom fins. Females will tend to have a lot less or none at all. Males will also be larger than the females.

Kenyi- Males will turn the orange/yellow color while the females will stay blue.

Red Zebra- The only way i have found to sex these guys is looking at there egg spots. These are located on there bottom back fin. Anything over 4 egg spots is male. Anything less is usually female. This isn't bulletproof but works most of the time.

You could go with blue dolphins. They are very attractive and are a vibrant bright blue. You could also add acei. They are a nice purple color. From my experience, peacocks are going to get picked on by the kenyi. You could add some full grown johanni into the mix. They are blue and black. In the end, it all comes down to you. Go to the LFS and take a look. OB's would add very nice color as well. possibly cobalt blues.

If I added a blue dolphin, could we get away with adding only one or do they prefer to have strength in numbers?

You could go with blue dolphins. They are very attractive and are a vibrant bright blue. You could also add acei. They are a nice purple color. From my experience, peacocks are going to get picked on by the kenyi. You could add some full grown johanni into the mix. They are blue and black. In the end, it all comes down to you. Go to the LFS and take a look. OB's would add very nice color as well. possibly cobalt blues.

Blue dolphins do better with groups of their same kind (as do all Malawians), and though I know people have done them in a 90 with success, I personally feel it is a bit on the small side for them and they would appreciate a 6' tank because they are a more open water fish than many other commonly kept Malawians.

That is kind of what i figured........ any other suggestions? i would like to have one larger fish of interest....... just need to make sure everyone can be happy:)

Blue dolphins do better with groups of their same kind (as do all Malawians), and though I know people have done them in a 90 with success, I personally feel it is a bit on the small side for them and they would appreciate a 6' tank because they are a more open water fish than many other commonly kept Malawians.