Increasing bioload for more fish?

dredd0606

Hi everyone,

I currently have a 55G tank that has been cycled with 2 fancy comets (not feeders) on the advice of my LFS. Now that I know about "fishless" cycling, I wish I hadn't used the comets, but oh well, live and learn.

This tank is destined to be home to some 21 fish (8 x L. caeruleus, 12 x Ps. demasoni, 1 x Ancistrus spp.)

My question is, how can I raise my bioload to take all 21 fish at once? (I live in Lethbridge, and Calgary trips do not happen often)

Should I add 6 more comets (I have read that since comets are such dirty fish they represent 2-3 cichlids for bioload)?

Should I pull the comets and start dosing with ammonia?

Or should I just put all 21 fish in, and dose with stability?

The tank is fully cycled, here are the numbers:

NH3 - 0, NO2 - 0, NO3 - 5, pH - 7.8

Do you have any other tanks running? We used filter media from another tank to help cycle our tank. It worked beautifully. Once we added the fish we dosed faithfully with stability.Out of 12 fish we lost one, but not until anout 2 months after addidg them.

Is that a good idea? I have about 2 weeks before I go to get my fish, and I wouldn't want to lose my bacteria now...

If I do go this way, what dose of Ammonia should I start with?

- Dredd

If you return the comets now, make sure you feed your bacteria w. ammonia until you get your new fish. When you add your new fish, make sure that ammonia and nitrite are at 0.

Just look up fishless cycle online. I think it is recommended to add 5ppm ammonia when it becomes 0, add 1/2 that until nitrIte is 0.

Jason is correct. A bacteria colony capable of dealing with 5ppm ammonia can deal with a huge biolode of fish. So return the comets, and monitor your ammonia, which should be at zero if your cycled.

After a day, add enough ammonia to get a 5ppm reading, then see how long it takes to get to zero (should only take a day). Keep doing that till you get your new fish. Then you'll be good to just add them without worry!

Boom :boom: