Dither Fish

MarkN

I am looking for some ideas for dither fish for my SA tank. Take a look at my signature that's the SA's I have. They spend most of there time at the back of the tank hiding on the bottom. They fish are gorgeous when I get to see them and I would like to see them more often not to mention make them more comfortable. Any ideas on types I could throw in to make them happy????

Thanks Mark

I have seen bala sharks. But as hybrid told me tinfoil barbs would be a good dither because they have a nice red tail and a shinny silver body so they will get lots of attention. plus they are fast so I don't see them taking lots of damage from your cichlids.

I have seen bala sharks. But as hybrid told me tinfoil barbs would be a good dither because they have a nice red tail and a shinny silver body so they will get lots of attention. plus they are fast so I don't see them taking lots of damage from your cichlids.

good call dust.... tinfoils are great dithers..

Larger-bodied tetras would be great if you're wanting to keep w. an SA theme. Serpae, or Bleeding-heart (one of my favs!) would work well; Blackskirt, Buenos Airies; Hatchetfish would be great, too. Other fish that would work would be Rainbows, Congo Tetras and barbs - basically any schooling fish that has a body that is to big to swallow easily.

Seems like the silver dollars are the fan favorite, anyone seen any of the red hook variety around town? I also like the giant danios so if anyone has spotted those as well please let me know.

Thanks for all the opinions, Mark

Seems like the silver dollars are the fan favorite, anyone seen any of the red hook variety around town? I also like the giant danios so if anyone has spotted those as well please let me know.

I think there were some silvers in rayfongs spencer jack order but you might be too late. Pjs pet center had some small ones, about the size of a loonie. Big als had 5 red hooks that were larger for about 25 each witch I think is way to much for a silver dollar.

I think there were some silvers in rayfongs spencer jack order but you might be too late. Pjs pet center had some small ones, about the size of a loonie. Big als had 5 red hooks that were larger for about 25 each witch I think is way to much for a silver dollar.

I forgot to mention I am in Calgary!!!!

I forgot to mention I am in Calgary!!!!

:bang1: sorry

I should of looked under your name instead of assuming your from edmonton :blush:

The thing is though, do you want fish that will grow huge? I have seen tinfoils that are at least 3/4' long. even some silver dollars have been slightly larger than a CD disk. What about something like the roseline sharks or rainbows? They at least have more color, and do grow larger in size.

IMO Deninsoni barbs are too expensive to test out this theory on, they're not as smart as tinfoils or silver dollars I noticed. I've never tried rainbows, so I cannot decipher if they are worthy or not. I spent a 100 bucks on deninsoni's and they ended up a snack for my cichlids :bang1: