large tank possible w. HOB filters

johnsmith

As can be expected, I'm a little frustrated by only having smaller tanks (33g & 40g), but definitely don't have a lot of money for an upgrade even if I did sell both the ones I have.

What I'm wondering is what is the largest tank you could filter with a fluval 304, AC 500 & AC 200?

Since filters seem to be one of the bigger costs I'm assuming I would be better off selling my tanks w/o filters and saving the filters for myself.

Any thoughts?

why so litlle a ac500 rates for 150 g and the ac 300 for 100, I wouldn't trust it at the limit, but with the other filter he's capable of well over one hundred gallons providwed he stocks well

Very true. However, we don't know what he wants to stock his tank with. Having more filtration usually doesn't hurt. IMO, I'd probably go with a 90gallon tank with the AC500, AC200 and Fluval304. With the proper media and cleaning routine, that should be able to handle a moderate-heavy load easily. Keeping in mind that I like overfiltering my tanks... my 65gallon malawi tank has 2xAC300s and an Eheim 2026 running on it... and if I had the room in my stand, I'd stick on another 2026 in there.

-Rich

AC's are good and cheap little filters. I have a AC500, fluval404 and a 802 powerhead on my 90. Never had any issues, tank is squeaky clean. You could easily run a large tank on multiple 500's with a couple good powerheads as well. That would be your cheapest bet.

take a file or dremel and make that AC500 fit. its a messy job but worth it in the end

Want a story of over filtering? i have an AC300 and an AC mini on my 10 gal!

Edited by neely

Here's a great place to start looking!!!

http://www.buysell.com/results.asp?id=986&r=26

There is a really good deal on 120 Gallon:

120 gal fish tank, $300 everything incl  Tel: 403-285-1562
90 Gallon aquarium w/stand, 2 filters, c/w several large Cichlids, $500obo,  Tel: 403-262-3454
90 GALLON FISH tank for sale with stand, no accs or top. $200. obo. Calgary. Tel: 403-809-1240

You get the idea!!!!!

Good Luck and be sure to put your progress!!!

Cheers,