cory cats

Summit600

Does Anyone have any cory cats in with Malawi's. How Are They Making Out. Do they Get Picked On By The Cichlids. My Rusty's ,Yellows and My mel. Cyan Are , All About 1.5 To 2 inches now And looks Like they Are Starting To Pick On The Cory's.

I have my cory in with Hap Nyerei (I know Lake Vics) sunshine peacocks, OBs afras and some tangs. Sometimes they chase him but he doesn't take them too seriously. See picture. He likes sitting on this rock kinda laid back. He really seems completely indifferent to other fish and the other fish ignore him now, even when they are busy chasing each other around. The rock that he sits on is directly in the middle of the tank. He really seems to enjoy watching the antics of the Africans. Because I already have enough corys in my other tank I see no reason to move him now. Harold -_-

Edited by HOSStile

I personally wouldnt' recommend cories for a rift lake setup but if you have to have them then try it out. Your cichlids are fairly peaceful so it might work out. Just watch them closely and if they start picking on the cories take them out.

Make sure you have lots of places for the cories to hide and get away if being chased

Edited by degrassi

I have to agree with dean here. Regardless of whether people want to adjust their tank water specifically to a biotope or not, it's like mixing oscars and peacocks, it just doesn't look natural. It looks like a tank at PJ's where they mix Kribs and Tropheus because they both are africans cichlids they tell me. Also, chances are that by the time you notice africans picking on something it's usually hanging off the filter intake. Maybe I just need to understand why people want to mix the two together.

The Reason I Put Them In Together is That my friend Shut Down His Tank And Had Nowhere To Put Them , not because they look Pretty. I will propably Have to find Someone That Would Like To Buy These Cory's Before They Get Hurt. They Used To Live With My Jack Dempsey's. The Jd's Never Seem To Bother That That they were There. I will List Them in The buy,sell,trade Section if they Do Not leave the cory's Alone.

my 180 gallon has alot of hiding spaces , but the cichlids are checking out all hiding spots and chasing the cory's out. Thanks For Everyones Help.

Invariably when corys are in with most any Rift Lake cichlids the corys' dorsal fins get chewed down to the stub if you let the cichlids do so. This is not a good situation for the corys and obviously the cause of undue stress. If you're stuck for room how about putting the corys in a breeding net until such time as you can find them a new home.