Stupid question

darkangel

I have re-vamped my 72 a little while back which turns out to be a 75, (48Lx18Wx20H). In theory this tank is 75 gal.

Now, on a technical side of things. With the internal space consumption and displacement of water volume from substrate, driftwood, rocks etc. this tank now only holds 56.5 gallons of water (yes I counted them). When calculating dosage of fertilizers, water treatment (prime), buffers, meds etc. and calculating lighting in watts per gal, kelvins, lumens and so on, Would this be calculated for a 75 gal. or a 56 gal.

Get your brains in high gear, I want to hear what everyone comes up with (theory or technical).

I would say do the calculations for 56.5Gallons.. I am intrigued though, how did you get an exact measurement of 56.5G ??? :unsure:

Raj

Tank was completely empty. After adding the 2 - 5 gal pails of water that I did a good gravel sweep on the tank before emptying it. Added substrate, driftwood, rocks and plants. I then began filling the tank with 5 gal pails, (also marked the 5 gal point in the pail). It took 9 additional 5 gal pails & 1.5 - 1 gal pails (us gal) and that brings the water level just to the bottom of the center crossbrace. I only went through the trouble to find out exactly how much water the tank had in it.

Light calculations have to due with the depth of the tank. although the tank is holding less water, it still has the same depth.

That would depend on the thickness of the gravel. If there is a 2" layer, then the light has to penetrate a shallower depth. (IMO)...

Also, Darkangel, do you really do such meticulous calculations when dosing prime or fertilizers ? medicine is a different story, but I kind of take it easy with my tank's maintenance.. I always put in an approximate amount(on the lower side) of prime and I am erratic with my ferts dosing regime.. I like the tank to take its own course... but thats me..and people are different..

Just 'cause I want to play devil's advocate:

What about the little spaces in between the gravel? Was the driftwood previously waterlogged or dry? At what rate will your plants be photosynthesizing (they use water for this.) Also as your plants and fish grow, the added mass will displace more water... :smokey:

Just 'cause I want to play devil's advocate:

What about the little spaces in between the gravel? Was the driftwood previously waterlogged or dry? At what rate will your plants be photosynthesizing (they use water for this.) Also as your plants and fish grow, the added mass will displace more water... :smokey:

Let's not forget filters, an FX-5 for example, holds alot of water ;)

I don't think that a lot of the measurements for Prime and even some med's are "exact". For example Prime will work very differently in water with Chlorine than Chloramine, and the bottle just says double the dosage. That doesn't sound 'exact' to me. Also if there's higher levels of Ammonia and Nitrites the Prime will react with that.

My answer isn't very technical, but I think it's not an exact chemical lab experiment that we're trying to achieve here. It's definately food for thought though.

If you're dosing your ferts via EI, I don't think it really matters since the whole idea is to overdose anyway. And, if you're not using EI, you're probably using test kits... then it doesn't matter tank volume b/c you'd be aiming for a specific ppm.

For light, I'd probably go w. 75 gal, too. Lighting is generally based on SIZE of tank, and not VOLUME of water.

WOW. Lots of brain activity on a Monday. What nobody parties anymore? Jerry, Your the only one that waited til Tuesday. Ok guys I'm not that anal about this I just did it to have some fun, I have nothing better to do with my time while I wait for a guy in a green suit & mask with a knife to mug me. I calculate everything for 75 gallons. Thanks for the replies, All of them were very good.