Trumpet Snails

A buddy has a cichlid tank that has exploded with trumpet snails. They even got so bad they caused a plug in his cannister filter.

Any suggestions on how to get rid of them? He has the most impressive cichlid collection I've ever seen so he is really hesitant to use chemicals and risk mucking up the chemistry.

He was told that clown loaches won't work on trumpet snails and the possibility would be for a puffer fish, but the cichlids would probably scrap with it (or vice versa).

Looking for your assistance.....

I found the "botia" loaches to be best with snails.

My one yoyo loach destroyed the 30-50 MTS I tried to use for a clean up crew... I think a dozen would wreck havoc on the MTS, if the cichlid didn't eat the loaches.

I have zebra loaches and they don't eat my MTS, at least not in enough numbers to dent their population. They totally devoured the pond and ramshorn snails though.

If he has a snail population problem he might want to check to see if he is over feeding. Snail populations spike when there is enough food(over feeding, decaying plant matter etc). Reduce their food and reduce their population. A small population of MTS is usually a good thing as they keep the substrate clean and mixed up.

If they are plugging up his canister filter he might want to put a sponge on the intake tube.

Edited by degrassi

The problem with using loaches to clean up snails in aquariums, particularly cichlid setups, is fourfold:

• first, most of them live in very different water parameters than most African cichlids
  • second, if the tank is not really large, even the smaller, slower growing botias add quite a bioload to a tank
  • third, I have Botia almorhae (yo yos), Botia kubotai, Botia striata, and Botia dario in the same tank and they very seldom touch the MTS snails
  • fourth, all of these species are schooling fish and are more comfortable and will be seen more when kept in groups of 5 or more

There are lots of other ways to control snails. As someone who is passionate about loaches for their own sake, I always suggest that the other methods be tried and only get loaches if you want to develop an environment where these incredibly fun fish can flourish.

**gets down off her soap box**

I have a cichlid tank and I have used 3 clown loaches to control Trumpet snails. Thet were small when I bought them and were up to 5 inches when I got rid of them. They did a good job but I still had to remove some when I did water changes.

I recently got some Blue botia, and they have wiped my snails out. So much so that I have to transfer from my other tanks just so I have some in my big tank. Yes the water perameters are different and one likes hard and one like soft but plekos and cichlids have different water conditions too and everyboby seems to do it.

That being said, no I would not mix loaches or botia with wild caught cichlids if I was buffering the ph up to 8.3.

Just my two cents

Derek

a penny in your filter will eliminate them because of the copper, just whatch your water peram's because iff alot die off at once there will be a large amount of bacteria in your bio-load causing a spike!!

a penny in your filter will eliminate them because of the copper,...

Just make sure the penny is older than 1996 (98% copper), anything newer than that doesn't have much real copper in it...only 4.5%:smokey:

Edited by cale262