why is nls better?

rED O

Well hybrid, at least we got the bill down from $200 a month, to $30 per month. lol

If you still find that excessive, there's not much I can do about that. And quite frankly I'm not attempting to get you to change what you are currently feeding. I just find it rather ridiculous that you are attempting to tell someone who owns 6 oscars, some that are still juvies, that feeding NLS must cost them a small fortune.

Dmann - as previously stated, per pound, NLS is less than half the cost of Hikari.

If you choose not to compare the cost of NLS in the larger pail sizes, you are in fact breaking your budget, you simply aren't doing the math. As an example;

Hikari Massivore Delite - 13.4 oz

Price: $44.99

Hikari Tropical Carnivore Stix- 2.2lb.

Price: $89.99

NLS -5 pounds (80 oz)

Price: $75-90.00

Add up your little bags of Hikari Gold, and let me know how much 5 pounds (80 oz) is costing you.

Edited by RD.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been feeding my two Oscars the NLS XL Fish Formula (7.5mm floating) for quite some time now, My Tiger is about 9" and the red's a little larger at about 10". My Tiger always has a large portion of pellet expelled out of her gills where the Red doesn't have this issue. I also have NLS 3mm and 4.5mm so just for fun this morning I tried them....end result, the Tiger has almost no food expelled with the 3 or 4.5mm, I guess I need to pickup some more 4.5mm. Thanx for the education RD.

NLS is probably the most economical food that I have ever used. I feed less than a teaspoon per day in a tank with 15-20 adult fish (3.5'-4.5'), and the growth rate is excellent, fish is extremely healthy and they are constantly spawning. It did take some time getting used to feeding less food. When I feed, the food is usually gone in 10 seconds. I currently have around 150-160 adult fish in my breeding tanks (maybe more) and a pail of NLS last me about 1 year.

half[/u] the cost of Hikari.

If you choose not to compare the cost of NLS in the larger pail sizes, you are in fact breaking your budget, you simply aren't doing the math. As an example;

NLS -5 pounds (80 oz)

Add up your little bags of Hikari Gold, and let me know how much 5 pounds (80 oz) is costing you.

your comparing hikari massivore to nls????

thats an unfair comparison..

lets compare nls price with hikari gold

big als online sells Hikari Gold-17.6 OZ. for 22 bucks..which is roughly the same price as NLS...

half[/u] the cost of Hikari.

NLS -5 pounds (80 oz)

your comparing hikari massivore to nls????

thats an unfair comparison..

lets compare nls price with hikari gold

big als online sells Hikari Gold-17.6 OZ. for 22 bucks..which is roughly the same price as NLS...

yeah but 22 bucks for a 300g container.

17.6 oz is like 650g.

forgot to mention, i'm feeding a single fish!

Edited by Dmaan.

NLS is probably the most economical food that I have ever used. I feed less than a teaspoon per day in a tank with 15-20 adult fish (3.5'-4.5'), and the growth rate is excellent, fish is extremely healthy and they are constantly spawning. It did take some time getting used to feeding less food. When I feed, the food is usually gone in 10 seconds. I currently have around 150-160 adult fish in my breeding tanks (maybe more) and a pail of NLS last me about 1 year.

you feed less than a teaspoon a day to 15-20 3.5-4.5 foot fish?

i hope that's each atleast!

i hope you mean inches(")

you feed less than a teaspoon a day to 15-20 3.5-4.5 foot fish?

i hope that's each atleast!

i hope you mean inches(")

Lol yes inches :D

hybrid - I guess if you only have one fish, and are willing to feed it whatever, then yes, it is an unfair comparison.

IMO the true value comes from the larger bulk size containers, no matter the brand.

In this instance, comparing Hikari vs NLS, Hikari is more than twice as much.

How much do you reckon low grade bulk trout chow would be if the feed mills packaged it up in

10-20 oz containers? Same difference amigo.

BTW Dmann, 17.6 oz's is 498.95 grams, not 650. :)

And IMHO comparing NLS to Hikari Gold is like comparing Hyundai to BMW.

How does one compare a fish food that has Corn Flakes as the second ingredient listed by weight, to one that

has Whole Herring Meal?

I mean c'mon ........

Let's at least compare NLS to Hikari Bio-Gold, which BA's sells @ $22.00 for 8.8 oz's, vs NLS @ 25.00 for 10.6 oz.

Not that I think that Bio-Gold comes even remotely close to the nutritiional content found in NLS, but it comes a lot closer than their Gold formula.

Edited by RD.

im 100% with you Neil. Comparing growth rate and the coloration of nls and Hikari, I've yielded better results on nls. My fish have superior everything. Dmaan and I grew up a midas from the same batch and his grew up mostly solo in a tank while mine grew up in a large community. His fish was longer than mine but mine was much heavier and thicker bodied. Other foods may offer the best results but nls has yielded the best for me so far.

hybrid - I guess if you only have one fish, and are willing to feed it whatever, then yes, it is an unfair comparison.

IMO the true value comes from the larger bulk size containers, no matter the brand.

In this instance, comparing Hikari vs NLS, Hikari is more than twice as much.

How much do you reckon low grade bulk trout chow would be if the feed mills packaged it up in

10-20 oz containers? Same difference amigo.

BTW Dmann, 17.6 oz's is 498.95 grams, not 650. :)

And IMHO comparing NLS to Hikari Gold is like comparing Hyundai to BMW.

How does one compare a fish food that has Corn Flakes as the second ingredient listed by weight, to one that

has Whole Herring Meal?

I mean c'mon ........

Let's at least compare NLS to Hikari Bio-Gold, which BA's sells @ $22.00 for 8.8 oz's, vs NLS @ 25.00 for 10.6 oz.

Not that I think that Bio-Gold comes even remotely close to the nutritiional content found in NLS, but it comes a lot closer than their Gold formula.

actually that makes sense, cause 8.8 is 250 and 250 x 2 is 17.6 so it should be around 500 then.

MA BAD.

Edited by Dmaan.

im 100% with you Neil. Comparing growth rate and the coloration of nls and Hikari, I've yielded better results on nls. My fish have superior everything. Dmaan and I grew up a midas from the same batch and his grew up mostly solo in a tank while mine grew up in a large community. His fish was longer than mine but mine was much heavier and thicker bodied. Other foods may offer the best results but nls has yielded the best for me so far.

really? mine grew up in a tank with like 5 or 6 other fish usually.

i'm sure you already know that it didn't grow up alone.

Look at the fish it grew up with, yours always seemed to be dominate.

i agree but prior to the last couple of months he was picked on by an oscar and 'texasterror' until i got rid of them.

i'm sure by now that dovii would be dominating him.

but now he's seemed to have developed an easy temper, can't touch his glass.

but nls is not the way for meee, i think i'll stick with hikari.

guy,... many of us have seen your fish ... If your fish are a good example of what nls can do..

ill stick to trout chow..

Edited by hybrid

guy,... many of us have seen your fish ... If your fish are a good example of what nls can do..

ill stick to trout chow..

This was a very good post so far, But trasting someones fish is very low and uncalled for.

And yes I feed NLS.