why is nls better?

rED O

That's a good way to put it Neil. I have only used BH in the past with juvenile discus, nothing else. Adult fish don't need as much protein because they are finished growing, that's all that high protein and fat is really good for. I love the fact the NLS carries so many varieties of food for so many types of fish, not to mention some foods contain garlic for those picky eaters. I also find that NLS doesn't break apart like many other foods do. Also what I notice is most other brands seem to have alot of grains in their list of ingredients, is this really what fish eat in the wild? I don't think so. Yes many consumers make such a hype about this food, but to be honest I fell in love with it after I first started using it. My protomelas insignus used to be drab in color, a week after using the NLS he colored up so unbelievably he is now a gorgeous fish. I would rather spend a little more money on a good quality food and extend the life of my fish than to use a cheap food and shorten their life span.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's the progression of a eureka red that I purchased a pair of I think in December. They were in the store's show tank and were on a diet of Haifeng super-red and looked good so after badgering for a couple month's I was able to bring them home. Once here they were switched to a diet of 1 mil NLS and you can judge the improvments yourself. Keep in mind these were adult fish when I got them.

1 week after I got them

fish1317.jpg

About 5 weeks later you can see the female is holding she was stripped of a mouthful of fully developed fry at the time of purchase

fish1364.jpg

A pic from a couple weeks ago Without the male having seen his female for 3 weeks as I removed her for a recovery period because of 3 quick spawns

fish1636.jpg

I doubt trout chow would have produced the same results

Free range ribeye, as well as all other forms of mammal meat (including de-veined BH), contain fat that is very difficult for most tropical fish to assimilate. Guess where that excess fat ends up? And guess how that fat accumulation affects the longevity of the fish?

This isn't rocket science .........

Hmh, I've been a hobbiest for 40 years now. Been feeding beef all that time, never experienced what you claim.

But that is just experience talking.

Been feeding beef all that time, never experienced what you claim.

Really, and you had necropsies performed on all of your fish that were fed beef, and died from (cough-cough), old age?

BTW Endugu, the vast majority of the members here know who I am, and what I sell.

I've been a member here since 2004 (long before I had any vested interest in NLS), and the admin here felt that I have contributed enough to this forum to be bestowed mentor status. As a relatively new member here you might want to keep that in mind before you get too carried away with your "propaganda" links.

This discussion was started by someone that was looking for information, and next to the manufacturer himself there is no one else on the planet that knows as much about this product as I do. Oh, and I'm also a hobbyist, and have been keeping fish for a few odd years now. If you like feeding beef to your fish, go right ahead, but please don't attempt to tell me that it has any type of health benefits for a fish. There are far safer ways to supply a fish with the optimum amount & correct assortment of amino acids.

Jorg - I recall telling that same vendor (6 or 7 yrs ago) to toss that crap in the garbage (the main ingredient is "wheat"), and find someone who can supply him with some New Life Spectrum. He told me that he had never heard of it, yet at the time he was using one of Pablo Tepoot's books in the store as his bible. I had no vested interest in any fish food products at the time, I was simply attempting to give him some good advice. Jump ahead a few yrs & look what's happened. lol

Edited by RD.

I have some fussy eaters and have brought in a number of wild caught species and have found that they have moved over to NLS pellets and wafers faster than any other food I have tried.

As well, my husband has an axolotl (aquatic salamander) who refuses to eat anything except NLS wafers.

I like the fact that the food does not break up on contact with water, that there are different sizes for different sizes of fish, and that I don't have to feed as much for everyone in the tank to get food (a lot of my fish live on the bottom - hence the name bottomdweller_fan :)).

I also appreciate all of the sharing on this topic as it gives new (and not so new) fish-keepers valuable information in order to make an informed decision (whatever that decision may be) about what to feed their fish.

Thank you.

I spent the evening at my uncle's place last night because I had to pick up another arowana at the airport. He has an RTG. I hadn't seen the fish for quite some time but compared to the one I just got in September it seemed rather small. So much so that I asked him if he got another RTG. He feeds whole shrimp 2 at a time stuffed with pellets. I feed pieces of shrimp/fish stuffed with NLS pellets and my fish has a far greater body mass than an aro that is 4 mos older. I won't say what he stuffs his shrimp with but the proof is in the pudding. It made me realize what a difference NLS makes.

If anything NLS holds together several times longer in the water than most other brands. I've seen pellets floating in tanks for several hours, and they are still in one solid piece.

The reason for that is the small inclusion rate of carbs/starches/grains, which is also why NLS doesn't swell up like a balloon when it sits in the water. The wafers will last a full 24 hrs without breaking apart, try finding that in any other wafer on the market. Good luck! As previously stated, I have fed full grown oscars, red devils, midas, and even arowanas, and have never experienced what Red0 mentioned. Yes, some species such as oscars are messy fish, no question about that, but I haven't seen any of them blowing large chunks out of their gills.

Ok RD... I am not normally a prove your wrong by taking a bunch of pictures...but what else to do hungover on a sunday morning. Time elapsed on this particular

NLS versus massivore

Shots are from 1 to 5 minutes. Each minute I pressed on the top of each pellet. Notice in the first picture the NLS floats....weird must have some air in there. You will notice the dirty water by the nls in the picture prior to it breaking up. All the massivore does is breaks into pieces. Again logic beats science. Wow..can you imagine what happens in a tank where fish are eating and the water is actually moving?

I just have to get in on this :cuss: contest. I also have an axolotl, Bought it a year ago. It was about 2" long. I have tried to feed it everything from soup to nuts, and all he/she will eat is NLS pellets. It is now 7" long. I also use NLS, But I also use a variety of other foods in flake form such as veggie, shrimp, earthworm, spirulina, and freeze dried brine shrimp all mixed together in one big bag. I also feed frozen foods such as blood worms, tubifex, and brine shrimp. If you would like the best food for your fish, You can set up a fish room just to raise the food that they eat in the wild, (not very cost effective or practical) That brings us back to NLS. The best, most practical and cost effective food on the market IMO. I don't think this is a heavy push for fish keepers to use NLS, It only states the best most practical and cost effective dry fish food on the market today.

This reply comes from a hobbyist that started out when major high tech filtration for a home aquarist was an air pump and an in tank box filter. ( I HAVE EVOLVED )

Edited by Sam Chicklets
Language

Subject is closed. It has gone in dirrections that are not productive.