Swap/Trade forum

I noticed that there is a swap/trade forum for plants.

Any possiblity of getting one for each of the buy&sell forums as well.

I would guess that any items posted in the section would have to place an approx value of the fish or hard items.

Any thoughts?

I believe this idea has come up in the past. The decision was made to keep the swap trade in the buy and sell.

I believe this idea has come up in the past. The decision was made to keep the swap trade in the buy and sell.

This is difficult when you have to post a price. Perhaps this should be looked at?

Ok the staff is looking into it.

• 3 weeks later...

No offense meant, but in another forum I am on, they have a buy/sell and a trade section and there are many double postings as many wish to sell the item(s), but will also entertain a trade...

I see the value when it is a plant for plant swap, or coral for coral, but it can sometimes create a mess when you go deeper than that...

Just my two cents.

I have always posted in my buy/sell posts if/that I am willing to trade. If you just want to trade (like a current 54 gal tank) you can say so in the buy/sell forum. However, if you don't list a price in hopes of starting a bidding war (which is what is assumed if there is no price... yes it has happened - that's why we have the rules) you post will be removed.

FYI, the Mods/Admin are still deliberating on a new forum.

• 7 months later...
I noticed that there is a swap/trade forum for plants.

Any possiblity of getting one for each of the buy&sell forums as well.

I would guess that any items posted in the section would have to place an approx value of the fish or hard items.

Any thoughts?

Hi ..... I am snooping around to learn more ....and Bammmmm ... I really like this idea .... it would give me a chance to look for items people are in need of and then perhaps get some fish things in return ... I am 60 years old and have aquired a lot of things through time, I have forgotton I even have some things but if I see someone who needs it ... I can look around and perhaps find it thus helping the person who needs it as well as getting perhaps a fish tank or a fish in return. I think this would make both of us winners by getting something we need or want ....... some things needed might be low priced.... if I had it just sitting around I could pass it forward and just give it to the person needing it ..... I think this would be beneficial to the planet as well by recycleing things we dont need or want anymore. Please forgive my spelling and my being perhaps nieve but I think the less we buy and toss away instead of perhaps finding someone who needs it, is a good plan . I do hope I am not stepping on anyones toes here if I am it is not intended .

...I think this would make both of us winners by getting something we need or want .......

I think if you look through the buy/sell archives you will see this has been happening. I suspect the stumbling block here is that the item should have an implied value, be that a dollar amount or a desired trade item. With that in mind I do not see the need for another forum for trade only items as that can be specified in the current buy/sell forum.

To add to your philosophical comments, you will also find it a great way to meet up in person with people you have something in common with!

Since plants count as livestock and the mods want to contain trading to the Buy/Sell forums, would it not then make sense to move the threads in the Swap/Give Away plants forum into the Livestock Buy/Sell, delete the Swap forum, and rename the Buy/Sell category to Buy/Sell/Trade? This would eliminate the double standard and reduce confusion.

Asking posters to post a price on new threads doesn't have to be complicated and it shouldn't be hard for people to do regardless. Like jvision does, if posters want to entertain a trade in lieu of a sale they can tack that on. "$2.00 per stem or trade for _____" takes five seconds to type and can encourage people to nibble on the thread if they want the plant but don't have anything to trade for it. : )

...I think this would make both of us winners by getting something we need or want .......

I think if you look through the buy/sell archives you will see this has been happening. I suspect the stumbling block here is that the item should have an implied value, be that a dollar amount or a desired trade item. With that in mind I do not see the need for another forum for trade only items as that can be specified in the current buy/sell forum.

To add to your philosophical comments, you will also find it a great way to meet up in person with people you have something in common with!

Thank-you .... Trust me to not have looked in archives .....