Glass or acrylic pricing

skynoch

So I've got to the point on my plywood tank build that I need to find window prices for the front. The tank is 12' x 8' x 3'. I want the front window to be either 3/4" starfire glass or 1" acrylic not sure on either but leaning towards the glass. The window will be 11' x 3'. Just looking for thoughts on which way to go and also where to find good prices in Alberta (don't mind the drive to pick up).

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no idea whether you should be using glass or acrylic as I don't build tanks. My bf does and he uses glass. Others could help you with that decision. What I can tell you is 1" acrylic is approximately 600 dollars per 4' x 8' sheet and may be difficult to find in that size. As I work at a plastics company that I can tell you. Not sure if this helps!!

I don't know about acrylic, but I looked around about about 5 places for glass. The cheapest buy far was aquagiant. I am getting a sheet thats 5/8'' thick 88''x28'' for $110.00. I have had problems so far with late arrival times. I know bottom dweller fan bought a pice of acrylic. Not sure how much she paid for it or were she got it.

I don't like acrylic because of how easily it scratches.

I know from my job that acrylic is easier to cut than glass( and you probably can cut it yourself and save money) however it does scratch. Bit of a trade-off there. My 1.25 cents!!

I purchased a sheet of ¾” clear acrylic cut to the dimensions of 90”x23” and paid $360.00. The company is called Plastics Plus and will give you a quote if you are interested.

I have been careful with my acrylic and haven't had any scratches - yet anyway. If you would like pictures just check out my plywood tank build under the members journals.

Good luck.

Edited by bottomdweller_fan

I don't know about acrylic, but I looked around about about 5 places for glass. The cheapest buy far was aquagiant. I am getting a sheet thats 5/8'' thick 88''x28'' for $110.00. I have had problems so far with late arrival times. I know bottom dweller fan bought a pice of acrylic. Not sure how much she paid for it or were she got it.

That is a good price. Is that starfie or regular plate?

I have no idea whether you should be using glass or acrylic as I don't build tanks. My bf does and he uses glass. Others could help you with that decision. What I can tell you is 1" acrylic is approximately 600 dollars per 4' x 8' sheet and may be difficult to find in that size. As I work at a plastics company that I can tell you. Not sure if this helps!!

Price is good and I for sure think I'll maybe be having some problems on that size for glass or acrylic.

Thanks for the help

That is a good price. Is that starfie or regular plate?

no idea.

I purchased a sheet of ¾” clear acrylic cut to the dimensions of 90”x23” and paid $360.00. The company is called Plastics Plus and will give you a quote if you are interested.

I have been careful with my acrylic and haven't had any scratches - yet anyway. If you would like pictures just check out my plywood tank build under the members journals.

Good luck.

I'll give them a call tommorow and see what they can do.

thanks for he info

One thing is Acrylic will be WAY lighter. An 11x3' pane will be a pain to lift!! :D

What are you keeping in the tank? If the inhabitants aren't too crazy, you probably won't have to worry about scratching. I know a few people who are really happy w. their acrylic tanks.

One thing is Acrylic will be WAY lighter. An 11x3' pane will be a pain to lift!! :D

What are you keeping in the tank? If the inhabitants aren't too crazy, you probably won't have to worry about scratching. I know a few people who are really happy w. their acrylic tanks.

Mostly rays but I'm thinking I may need a few plecos for algae control which may be a problem with acrylic I'm guessing.

lol ya it's going to be a fun lift. Hoefully my friends won't all be sick that day.

Acrylic prices are nuts right now!

I called a place in Calgary (Industrial Plastics, I think) and asked for a quote for a 72" x 18" piece of cell cast acrylic.

I was told that it would cost me $485 :wacko:

Definitely not in my price range.

Edited by Doc_Polit

Acrylic prices are nuts right now!

I called a place in Calgary (Industrial Plastics, I think) and asked for a quote for a 72" x 18" piece of cell cast acrylic.

I was told that it would cost me $485 :wacko:

Definitely not in my price range.

Ya I'm thinking it gonna cost me alot for either acrylic or starfire. I'm hoping to keep it under $2000. I thought acrylic may have went down but I guess not yet.

My acrylic tank rocks... wouldnt trade it for anything....

The Clarity is unreal and it even insulates the temp. better then glass..... and have no scratching issues...

I also have a 300 acrylic and have no problems with clarity and your right it is better insulated than glass. But I'm wondering if I added plecos would they scratch the acrylic. Do you have any plecos in yours?