Sand Sifters?

TanisD

Hello I currently have sand in my tank for about a month now and I am starting to worry about food and waste building up underneath the sand. I have stingrays and some botia and corys in my tanks. I'm looking for any suggestions for fish or equipment that would sift the sand so stuff wont build up in it. Thanks.

Have you tried weather loaches?

What size of Sillica did you use? In anycase in my oppinion the best size is #8 as you dont have the gas problem building up under the surface of the sand with it because of the particle size / its still small enough that exess food and waste sits on top of it for easy vacuming...

An easy solution is to keep your sand under an inch in depth that will ensure your fish mix it up while picking for food etc. You could also try the ram type snails they dig in the sand all the time, I'm unsure if stingrays eat snails thou.

Awesome guys thanks! I have extremely fine sand as anything else is too rough on my young stingrays as they get older though I will be switching to very smooth fine gravel. I'm gonna go grab some of those loaches and snails today.

I don't know where you would get the loaches, but I could give you some Ramshorn snails.

Malaysian Trumpet Snails are good substrate turners. They burrow and eat during the day in the gravel and sand and come to the surface during the night. They are also livebearers-as in little snails are born no ugly jelly nests. I have an over abundance of them in one of my guppy tanks and the young seem to die quite frequently but that was due to an overpopulation due to over feeding baby guppies.

Malaysian Trumpet Snails are good substrate turners. They burrow and eat during the day in the gravel and sand and come to the surface during the night. They are also livebearers-as in little snails are born no ugly jelly nests. I have an over abundance of them in one of my guppy tanks and the young seem to die quite frequently but that was due to an overpopulation due to over feeding baby guppies.

I second the malaysian trumpet snails. I added a bunch of small ones about a month ago and the build up of dead materials and waste has decreased by at least 75%