Sick Electric Yellow

randy

I have a ill Electric Yellow from what I can find he may have Fish Tuberculosis? He is in a quarantine tank and has been there since early April. He does try to eat but spits out the food tried 4 different types of food but still spits it out. Trying to treat him with Melafix (only bacterial medication the local fish shop has) Only other medications choices are for Ick, Velvet or Fin Rot which he does not have. Any other sugestions on what his illness may be? Oh ya raised termperature and added salt.

ElectricYellow005.jpg

ElectricYellow008.jpg

ElectricYellow010.jpg

Edited by randy

if he has a bacterial infection of sorts, turning up the heat would cause the bacteria to proliferate due to the higher temp. i would bring the temperature of the tank back down to what it normally would be, slowly, over the course of a day or so, so as to not stress the fish.

i don't have a lot of experience with fish diseases, but i don't think i would combine two different treatments, as you are with the salt and the melafix. go with one course of action at a time, IMO.

agree with the garlic soaked food idea. have you tried any especially yummy foods such as mysis shrimp or bloodworms?

Edited by BettaFishMommy

but salt is not a medical treatment, and should not affect melafix in any way. I have used the two combined on numerous occasions, being said tho mixing of more than one "chemical" aid to the tank is frowned on..

Melafix is for fresh water or salt water use. I have tried different foods, the garlic soak pellets get gobbled up with vigor, but just end up getting spit out and sucked up and spit out. I am assuming he is getting some food down as he still is defecating.

And yes adding different medications at the same time is not a good idea, as they may interact with each other and the results may not be favourable.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sorry to hear that. I have never heard of anything like that before but it sounds like you did everything right. The only thing i can think of for the reason he was sooo sick was possibly a genetic defect or something that blocked his ability to swallow food and the discharge you saw if it was White it might have been bacteria. I remember someone else on the site here who had a healty population of Tangs but since it was in a currently occupied guest room she wasn't able to observe them so the one fish started to waste away and became really bad before she noticed it. It was the only one in the tank like that and the rest were healthy and happy. There is only so much we can do so i'm sorry to hear about the death but maybe someone knows what could be the issue and we could save fish like this in the future.

Good luck

L

P.S. Maybe you could order online a couple of emergency Meds for your fish and some NLS Thera A too. I couldn't hurt and it might save a few fish in the future.

Sorry that I missed this thread until now. What your fish had is referred to as wasting disease, it wasn't TB, and is almost impossible to successfully treat. I've seen it in yellow labs, as well as a number of other species of African cichlids.

FYI - that article on garlic by Steven Pro is old and outdated, and was well off the mark even when it first came out.

See the link below for more current data on this subject.

http://www.newlife.ipbhost.com/forums/inde...p?showtopic=256

HTH