Starter Fish

katie

Hey,

So I am going to be starting up a new aquarium soon, and I was just wondering from personal experience which starter fish that you have had great success with. I currently have an aquarium at home that has been up and running for almost 2 years now, I am starting the new aquarium at my workplace.

Thanks in advanced!

This has a number of variables.

If you do water changes, etc etc, keeping almost any fish should be relatively easy, so long as tank size & chemistry requirements are met .

However - white clouds are what i've had luck with, you can purchase them at a generally low price at 25 cents / ea - they're generally used as feeders - but they're beautiful fish - i like them over neons.

Guppies, Mollies, Swordtails, or just livebearers in general.

In my opinion the easiest and best way to start a tank is with cories, tetras, and livebearers. A lot of other fishes can be thrown in with them later.

Would help to know how big the tank is and what type you want it to be (Planted, Cichlid etc.)

I am not to sure of the size yet, I am waiting for my boss to pick up an aquarium. Hopefully it will be at least a 40 gallon. I plan on making it a community planted tank.

in that case, a large pair of angels would look really nice with a couple of gouramis and a school of cardinal tetras.

OK, back to the starters. Zebra danios make excellent starter fish to get the tank established. Possibly some of the live bearers but not the mollies. White-clouds are also a suggestion.

OK, back to the starters. Zebra danios make excellent starter fish to get the tank established. Possibly some of the live bearers but not the mollies. White-clouds are also a suggestion.

I wouldn't suggest sailfin mollies but schenops mollies are great in Alberta water. They don't get too big, are prolific, colourful and peaceful. I actually have a waiting list on mine.

I am not to sure of the size yet, I am waiting for my boss to pick up an aquarium. Hopefully it will be at least a 40 gallon. I plan on making it a community planted tank.

in that case, a large pair of angels would look really nice with a couple of gouramis and a school of cardinal tetras.

You have to be selective what you combine with angels. They'll eat those cardinals! If they can fit it in their mouth they will.

In an Office enviroment where you can get additional"help" whether you want it or not.

I would go for cheap and cheerful and be prepared to replace fish regularly.

We had a tank in a waiting room kindly donated by the League of Friends of the hospital I was working at in East London (uk)

I had to lock the top down to stop kids from trying to feed the fish ( mostly Chips!!)

I have always had a soft spot for Guppies its how I started as a teenager a guppy tank is colourful and there is always something happening

Felix

• 3 weeks later...

What size of tank were you considering? This would be the ideal thing to know before recommending any starter fish since they all have different requirements.

Goldfish tend to be the best fish for busy areas with dumb people who like to bang on glass. They are not the brightest fish in the world which makes them a good candidate for children (no offense to those goldy lovers).

Other good starter fish are zebra danios (which will require at least 20 gallons), I find angels to also be pretty good fish for public places, tetras are also a favorite of mine, but not ones like cardinals or rummy nose which are better for the more experienced fish keepers. Some barbs are also good beginner fish like cherry barbs, or rosy barbs. Guppies are deifnitely a good starter fish, although I recommend going for a tank with all males if planning to do this, since I don't think you want them breeding out of control in your work place tank.

Edited by firestorm

I love tiger barbs. Get a big big school of them, like 20. Get some of slightly different sizes. Also, get 3-5 female kribs. Beautiful fish, and if you don't have males then there will not be mating aggression. Toss in a couple big blue gouramis, maybe a red tailed shark.

YOu could even get another school of different barbs too.

Post a picture when you get things set up!

Guppies are deifnitely a good starter fish, although I recommend going for a tank with all males if planning to do this, since I don't think you want them breeding out of control in your work place tank.

Absolutely agree, should have said male only.

I started with a 24x18x12 tank and that is perfect for guppies

at work it was 48x 18x12, we had plastic plants (not my choice, I had to be inclusive!!) and had a mix of all sorts of fish.

most popular were the neons, and angels and the red tail shark. I had a pleco as they do keep the glass clean and kids find them fascinating.

the fish that survived the first month turned out to be remarkably hardy but I did have a sign by the electric socket saying do not unplug or switch off life support!!

sounds obvious but you'd be surpised and not just the cleaners either!!

Felix B)

Edited by Felix

The algea eating dwarf plecos, Rams, some corrys and most tetras are a good choise for that type of enviroment. Natures Corner can go through there stock with you and help you pick out the best fish. Also some of the staff at Big Al's have experiance with that sort of thing, ( I think the people I am thinking still work there but they only worked weekdays before I left the city so don't quote me on it, lol).

THe best thing to know before you pick out the fish is the size of the tank. SOme of the larger fish are easy to care for but need to have very large tanks (ie Goldfish, and Oscars).

Just remember that if you want fish for algea control that the Comon Plecos are not that good at it. Go for the Bristlenose Plecos or a small school of Ottos.

Sorry for the rant, just wanted to through in my 2 cents.